Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The bike sat for about 6 weeks , when i started it up it was missing. I checked it out an # 1 is missing. The plug is firing fine, The compresion is 150 .how can i tell if its getting gas to that cyl.:baffled:

·
Administrator
25,978 Posts
imported post

Is this an SEI or carburated model? If it's injected put the tip of a screwdriver on the injector for the missing cylinder, hold the handle to your ear and listen for the click, compare it to another one for the same sound. If it doesn't click or sounds different
the injector may be stuck or clogged. If it has carbs open the drain screw in the bottom of the bowl and see if gas drains out. The float valve could be stuck if it is dry or the jets plugged if it has gas in the bowl. Let us know what you find.
David

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,510 Posts
imported post

If it was running good when you last drove it, it may have gunked up a little bit just sitting there.

Might try Sea Foam and see if it will clear the problem. Cheap to try.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

basstracker wrote:
The bike sat for about 6 weeks , when i started it up it was missing. I checked it out an # 1 is missing. The plug is firing fine, The compresion is 150 .how can i tell if its getting gas to that cyl.:baffled:
If the plug is staying dry, it is a good indication that no fuel is getting there.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hello everone, thanks for the replys. I finely got back on my bike two days later, fired her up an no miss, # 1 cly is doing fine. i put everthing back on an rode for a while an its o k.ive been having troublestarting it when it gets hot, it bearly turns over.the battery shows full charge,but when i hook up the batt charger an put it on 6 amp it will crank. is it a bad batt or starter?

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

basstracker wrote:
is it a bad batt or starter?
My bet is on the starter brushes......................................

~teacher~~~

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

teacher wrote:
basstracker wrote:

~teacher~~~
I'm with that too. let us know what it actually is?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

teacher wrote:
basstracker wrote:

~teacher~~~
I agree with teach. Mind did the same thing and I thought it was battery but found out it was starter. No problems since. Oh welcome to the site:waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

When you pull the starter does the gear on the end of the starter come with it or does it stay in the motor? On a 1984 interstate do i have to undo anything to get the starter off?:baffled:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

BT, if I remember right, the gear comes out with the starter. You will have to remove floor boards( if you have them) as well as the shifter. The leftside headers will have to be dropped. Some say that the inside rear stud has to be removed but alot say no. I have paid close attetion to this as I have to rebuild mine. I had a bunch of trouble but after I bought a rebuild kit, I had no more trouble with starter. Go figure.:baffled::baffled::waving::waving::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

basstracker wrote:
 When you pull the starter does the gear on the end of the starter come with it or does it stay in the motor? On a 1984 interstate do i have to undo anything to get the starter off?:baffled:
On my GL1100 the chain sprocket remains inside and the splined starter shaft slips in/out. If you have the bike level - the sprocket will shift off center a bit and can be hard to mate up with the starter shaft. After doing this several times I learned to put the bike on the side stand and the sprocket tends to hang in a better position via gravity to get the shaft started.

I don't have floorboards and I never remove anything to get the starter out. Just push the shifter down a bit and work the starter in/out. I know it may seem impossible at 1st but I've done it a bunch of times.

Remember - this is a GL1100 I'm talking about but I think it's very similar to 1200.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks for all the help, i had a nother batt so i thought i would try it before changing the starter, cranks every time. i guess the starter is o k:baffled:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.