Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi..had my 1200 interstate 1 year now getting more use to it the more i ride her.. but how well do they really handle.. i am suprised how well my bike feels while i am riding her but i dont go mad on her...... regards..jim :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Mine was really good. You could fair chuck it around and other members of our bike club, (usually on smaller bikes) couldn't believe how easy it looked to handle- even on small twisty roads. When they tried it themselves they were amazed. I've got a 1500 now and I really like it, but it handles like a BIG bike!. Not nearly so responsive for me. Could be the tyres (Dunlop E3's, which seem mighty hard, but long lasting), or the extra weight. .....Steve

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
imported post

I'm amazed at how well mine handles on twistys. I thought for sure a bike over 800 lbs. would be difficult to handle but I'm really enjoying it. It corners very well, evidenced by the three times I've dragged my boot heels off my highway pegs in the past week. ;)

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I had an 84 1200. I've been told the newer 1200s had a slightly different front end.
Mine was kind of awkward at very low speeds. First gear in the parking lot always took a little extra care. Once rolling it was great. My 1500 is heavier, more creature comforts, but less sporty. They are both great to have. Never been on an 1800.

Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I think the 1200 handles really well.

The only time it's not too good is at really low speeds when the weight of the bike takes over but not enough to needing to put feet down, right down to a complete standstill, but enough to need a bit of room either sidefor the slow motion wobble.

Otherwise cornering can be carried at decptive speeds, having grounded driver pegs and engine barsI can vouch for that, just make sure you have good tyres.

Straight line at high speeds is no problem I'veneversuffered speed wobbles even carrying heavy loads or towing a trailer.

I've ridden a few times upto Thurso so have an idea on the state of the roads, i don't think you shouldhave any problems although it is a bit narrow and tight west of Dounreay on the A836/838 and beyondjust go a bit easy if you go that way and service your forks regularly.

Johno

can be seen somewhere between Plymouth and Glasgow

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

sandman jim wrote:
"but how well do they really handle..."
My '86 Interstate handles like a dream.

I just fitted her with a new pair of "Michelin Commanders" I'm still amazed at the improvement; she has always cornered well but now...... Unbelievable!!!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

they handle really really effortlessly for a heavy bike, can be flicked from side to side with ease, the response is instant.

they have a forgiving nature, allowing you to change should you muck up a corner or something. (I found this out several times)

I found though, I need to ride by the numbers in front of me, trying gauge speed by looking at the road, through the windscreen, is hopeless it looks like the bike is dawdling along.

when I first got her I got caught several times, entering corners. way faster that i thought I was doing.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree with Oldishwinger that looking up can get your attenion in a corner..Bike feels like it just moseying along till you are into the corner draging a foot peg, with your brain wondering what will happen and your butt puckered to the seat..Man I love my bike..

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

the only Goldwing that can compare to a GL1200 as far as handling is a GL1800. The 1200 at low speed will go into a turn and where you stop the lean, that is where it will stay. The GL1500 in the same turn will want to keep leaning and you have to hold it where you want.
The 1200 cannot compare to the 1800 at high speeds, 90+, that 4 banger is just working too hard, and the 1800s 6 cylinders are not even breathing hard.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I just love to get out in front of the house and do turns in the middle of the street with the wheel pegged to the bumper on either side. Left is so much easier than right for me, I wonder why that is. Same on the twisties..left turns are easier than the right hand curves. But it sticks the road either way.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

the left turn is easier because you are right handed

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You need to relax your arms a little more while riding, let the one inside the turn do the work, the outside arm is doing little/nothing. Then your scrapes will be even.

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
imported post

The size of the bike certainly makes a difference but I think it comes down to how comfortable you are on it. Having grown up on dirt bikes (like many others) I learned early how to handle a bike in close quarters on uneven terrain. Now that may not translate to road situations but it gives me a sense of confidence in what I know I can do and whatI can't do. That's why I took that training course rather than go to the registry and try to do a figure 8 in a phone booth on a full dresser. Has anyone every had to do a F8 out in the real word? Makes no sense to me why it's on the test.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
I think the 1200 handles really well.

The only time it's not too good is at really low speeds when the weight of the bike takes over but not enough to needing to put feet down, right down to a complete standstill, but enough to need a bit of room either sidefor the slow motion wobble.

Otherwise cornering can be carried at decptive speeds, having grounded driver pegs and engine barsI can vouch for that, just make sure you have good tyres.

Straight line at high speeds is no problem I'veneversuffered speed wobbles even carrying heavy loads or towing a trailer.

I've ridden a few times upto Thurso so have an idea on the state of the roads, i don't think you shouldhave any problems although it is a bit narrow and tight west of Dounreay on the A836/838 and beyondjust go a bit easy if you go that way and service your forks regularly.

hi..johno i live 2 mile from dounreaytowards bettyhill me and wife often ride up to durness on a nice daythe bends can be tight here, she always handles great without pushing her my suspension is set at 4 psi front.. 40 psi rear i have avon venoms tyres .. set at 36 psi front and 42 psi rear i think these are about right what do you guys think... regards..jim...:waving::waving::waving:

Johno

can be seen somewhere between Plymouth and Glasgow

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I have ridden all the bikes in my sig and a HD softtail, wideglide; suzuki intruder 1400, LS 1500; honda 1100 shadow ace and the wing 1200 other than the parking lot handle better than them all. It is very responsive and sure on the hwy and the twisties. I was very surprised and impresssed.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Hey Bike...and Dennis, you need to turn right more. Equal out the amount of dragging.:action:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.