Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
ANY QUESTIONS?

Your parking to close to the curb....................

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I ride my wing pretty hard in the turns and have never felt it want to give way or be anything but a part of me. The bike handles better than any cruiser I've ridden and is pretty darn close to my 919 and Bandit. I love the 1200 and am thinking of upgrading to the 1800 but I don't know if I would like it more than my 1200.

Jeff

·
Administrator
21,958 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
I love the 1200 and am thinking of upgrading to the 1800 but I don't know if I would like it more than my 1200.
Jeff

That's the problem. What if you "upgrade" and find out the GL18 is not as good as the GL12? The twelves aresuch agreat sport bike and still a pretty damn good tourer. With its other atributes, too numerous to list, it's hard to imagine anything actually being better. Especially 20 grand better.

Please, this is my opinion and I don't want to start a "my bike can beat up your bike" thread. Because that could get out of hand(lebar).

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

Well, I just got my 1200 day before yesterday and have already put 1300 miles on her. My only comparison is with my 1100, but what a difference. The 1200 is much more powerful and the speed really creeps up on you. If you don't watch it you are often doing 10-15 mph faster than you think. It doesn't do twisties better than the 1100, but not worse. Overall, I'll ride both bikes, but the 1200 get future duty for rides over 200 miles.

·
Administrator
57,980 Posts
imported post

Rode a 1200 for about 18 months, and a 1500 for about two years. And rode a 1800 for 250 miles all on one trip.

The 1800 felt to me, like it loved curves, and 5th gear was the only gear I needed once it was moving over 10 mph.

It seemed to me, like the CG is much lower, and to turn it, I just slid over a tad in the seat and it turned itself. I never had to push/pull on the handlebars. I fell in love with it and decided that I want one.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I have nothing to compare my 1200 to but I do love it and it is paid for and some:D

Always something to addon or upgrade:cheeky1:

For me it handles great, I'm not a speed demon but I do hit 80 on the interstate at times and it does it just fine. Would love to find a 1500 for a nice price but I'd hate to part with the 1200 as I can do almost all the work on it myself now, which wasn't the case a year ago. But thanks to everyone here I can get in the running for the crazyest questions asked ever at times :dude::cheeky1::dude::cheeky1:

As far as comparing to othere new models well I figure it like this: My bike is 20+ years old and sure the newer bikes are better in a lot of ways but that is ok because the wife and I are happy with what we have now and will make a decission cto change when the time comes if it ever does.

Ride Safe- no matter what you ride,

Ray

:waving:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Matt G wrote:
the only Goldwing that can compare to a GL1200 as far as handling is a GL1800. The 1200 at low speed will go into a turn and where you stop the lean, that is where it will stay. The GL1500 in the same turn will want to keep leaning and you have to hold it where you want.
The 1200 cannot compare to the 1800 at high speeds, 90+, that 4 banger is just working too hard, and the 1800s 6 cylinders are not even breathing hard.

The 1200 cannot compare to the 1800 at high speeds, 90+, that 4 banger is just working too hard, and the 1800s 6 cylinders are not even breathing hard.

But don't let that make you think that a GL1200 can't keep up to and even pass a GL1800 at top speed because the GL1200 is not electronically speed regulated unlike the GL1800 which has an electronically limited top speed.

I've had my 84 GL1200 to 125 MPH+ on the GPSand it never sounded like it was working too hard but I but I backed off before it would go any morebecause the risk of getting caught by the police outweighed the fun I was having.

I do wish that Honda could have put just a little more bottom end torque in the GL1200 because that's where the GL1800 engine really shines.

Vic www.gl1200goldwings.com

·
IBA Member
373 Posts
imported post

I've had my 84 GL1200 to 125 MPH+ on the GPSand it never sounded like it was working too hard but I but I backed off before it would go any morebecause the risk of getting caught by the police outweighed the fun I was having.

My 84 is barely broken in (23,000 miles) and I tend to get giddy when I creep up to 100mph. I certainly plan to push it and see where she will take me (all men need to push their women) but I'm just waiting for that "right place,right time" sorta thing. If I lose a leg I'll let ya know.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Although I have nothing to compare it to, so far mine is pure bliss. Now that could be because I'm new to the GW and had been off bikes for more than 30 years. At 90 mph it seems more like 60. And, like Ray, it's paid for too!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Kefltrvlr2 wrote:

My 84 is barely broken in (23,000 miles) and I tend to get giddy when I creep up to 100mph. I certainly plan to push it and see where she will take me (all men need to push their women) but I'm just waiting for that "right place,right time" sorta thing. If I lose a leg I'll let ya know.
Don't be too concerned if you can't make 125 MPH+. When I reached that speed my engine had been modified with a port and polish job on the cylinder heads and the exhaust was wide open from front to back. The modifications allowed me to shift my Wing at 8000 RPM without any hesitation. That engine is now sitting on my garage floor waiting for a bottom end inspection whenever I find the time. I just want to be sure that the bearings are in good shape for many more jaunts to 8000 RPM. For now I'm just putting along with my spare, completely stock GL1200 engine.

Vic

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.