Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Starting a referb. on my sons new 1200. the operators manual calls for 0--6# in the front forks . They seem the same or close to my1100. And that pressure is 20 --30#
The one time I did ride it the forks bottomed out, but I couldn't check the pressure .
Ive worked on 1000 s & 1100s , but this is my first 1200. Any comments??

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

Ya might want to change the seals if it's not holding pressure. Also I think that all the GL1200's have the TRAC anti-dive located at the bottom of the forks and yours might be low on oil. I keep mine set at 2. If you do decide to replace the seals that's the time to change/replace the fork oil with new oil. ATF is most commonly used. Also, you might want to consider installing a set of Progressive springs so's you really don't have to worry about the air....

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

This is pure conjecture on my part. I don't know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't stop a lot of other people, so here goes. I think it was the '83 1100 that first got the anti-dive front shocks. I suspect when Honda went anti-dive, they were able to reduce the fork pressure. The anti-dive works in conjunction with the front calipers to limit the oil by-pass in the forks, thus preventing "dive". Hence the name. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone else with less knowledge will chime in.

Ooops, too late. Ros beat me to it!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
This is pure conjecture on my part. I don't know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't stop a lot of other people, so here goes. I think it was the '83 1100 that first got the anti-dive front shocks. I suspect when Honda went anti-dive, they were able to reduce the fork pressure. The anti-dive works in conjunction with the front calipers to limit the oil by-pass in the forks, thus preventing "dive". Hence the name. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone else with less knowledge will chime in.

Ooops, too late. Ros beat me to it!:ROFL:

Did you need me for anything Mike?? :shock:I heard ya call me!!! :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
Ya might want to change the seals if it's not holding pressure.
Gosh, I just hate to do this, since roscoepc is such a nice guy, but........

If the seals are leaking, there will be fluid around the forks. Since this is an "air over hydraulics" system, nearly all the fluid would have to be gone to lose air out of the seals. If the seals are leaking, it's a "moo" point, they need to be replaced anyway.

One other possibility for loss of air pressure in the front tubes would be the air fill chamber at the top of the tubes. Two small "o-rings on each tube, and a fill valve.

Put some air in it (since it's an interstate, it's a manual fill) and check it after a couple hours.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have a 1200 LTD, forks wouldn't hold air, but did not leak fluid. I drained the fluid out, it looked pretty dirty, and refilled with the correct amount of 20w50 motor oil. Made sure the air lines were plugged, and set the TRAC thing on 4. Seems to work just fine, no fluid leaks yet. Handles fine for what it is, just mushy enough to be comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
This is pure conjecture on my part. I don't know what I'm talking about, but that doesn't stop a lot of other people, so here goes. I think it was the '83 1100 that first got the anti-dive front shocks. I suspect when Honda went anti-dive, they were able to reduce the fork pressure. The anti-dive works in conjunction with the front calipers to limit the oil by-pass in the forks, thus preventing "dive".
That all makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.