Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Look atPulse Generator.

Just a guess from the lack of info in your post sutch as Does it go totaly dead like you turned off the key? OR does the engine die but all the lights are still working?

Pat

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it like someone turns the key off, but i have read that there is a recall ignition switch wireing harness? iam new at this.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Better to get a used ignition off EBay. They do cause problems, so if you are losing all power there is a good chance that your ignition switch is faulty.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I would take out the main fuse first and check/clean the contacts. It is located to the right of the battery in the started relay cluster. It's 30 Amps and if it goes you lose everything.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If after a while it starts back up?
I would replace the pulse generators. Not a costly repair and on (after 84) models easy to get at.
I had a person asking the same question in August last year, his bike would just quit after running for a while his was an 86 too.
He said he didnt like riding it because he couldnt trust it. He had just got the bike and the previous owner had gotten rid of it because of this and the ??? mechanic ??? couldnt fix it.
Replace the original main fuse with an auto fuse and holder, I used one that had a type of weather proof cap, soldered and heat shrinked.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Search the forum for this problem.. There were many, many postings on this problem last summer and into the fall.. If memory serves me right (sometimes it doesn't) it's the pulse generators.. If after the engine quits running, and you still have lights and electrical power, it's usually the pulse generators.. Perform the book test on both upper and lower (located behind the front drive belt covers). If you lose all power, including electrical, it points to the ignition switch or fuses...Keep writing to this forum and you will get the answers to this problem. We need more information to pinpoint the cause...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

well when first take the bike it runs great, it wont quit. then i park for awhile then ride back then it start to act up i lose tack and speedo goes dead, not sure about the lights. the only light that comes on is the oil light after it quites.. but then i turn the key and hit the starter it starts right away runs for half block quits again, it does this 3 or 4 times then runs great after that??

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Try cleaning the battery posts maybe there is a loose connection there.

If it dies when you come to a stop or at a low rpm. The battery keeps the bike running at lowrpm's. At higher rpm's the stator puts out enough to keep the bike running ibelive.A loose dirty battery post can give you all kinds of strange problims

Pat

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

no it guits at any speed i have replaced the stater and the starter last year, it did not start guiting after i replaced the stater, i lost the stater on a bike trip it died then it would start again had jump start the bike to get it home.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the same problem I had on my '86 1200 :12red:, I replaced the Pulse Jennys and Timing belts and she goes great now.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

i had the belts repaced last year what about pluse gen. havedo with the belts???

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Take a good look at the two 30A fuse links. They can cause all sorts of odd problems, remove the links and put them back after cleaning the screws and link ends. Sometimes these things corrode and then there's no end of mischief they can cause.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Wht would the speedo quit as well? On the Interstate I thought the speedo was a mechanical one?
If only the oile light comes on after cutting out, then surely its an electrical problem and not the pulse gennys.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Before changing the Pulse Generators, if your main 30 amp fuse link is corroding, or even if it isn't replace it with an auto fuse and holder preferably one with a weather proof cap and solder the connections. Then if you still having problems you can look to mor expensive fixes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Don't know about the 1500 but the 1200 has only one 30 amp main fuse. Thats the one I suggest cutting out and replacing with the auto weather proof type

Attachments

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

If oil light is coming on then it's not the ignition switch, when that goes all electrical is gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.