Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I checked the pulse coils with a ohm meter, new plugs that show no miss with a timing light, full tank of gas and carb synch, new fuel filter.Sometimes it runs great and idles smooth, other timesthe idle goes up and down but doesnt really die but gets close and then goes back up Ran some seafoam through it. Sometimes It has a miss in first geararound 2000 -2500rpm. After that its a rocketIt starts ez. It has California smog on it. When vacuum is disconnected from #4 it immediately dies but havent entirely ruled out the ignition unit. Maybe a reed valve or pvc valve?.It does the same with or without a air filter.Any ideas or anyone ever have this problem. Thanks JB

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

Hi JBz,

I certainly don't know but vacuum comes to mind. Perhaps a weak line collapsing then opening back up when the engine slows and therefore produces less vacuum.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

sticky anti-afterburn valve perhaps, or the slow air cut-off?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
sticky anti-afterburn valve perhaps, or the slow air cut-off?
Would both of these would require a carb removal for testing and inspection.It will idle fine for a while then start hunting. Also the neutral light will go off and on at times. I dont know if that can be related??Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Im going to try another fuel pump and then I noticed the ground bolt that runs across the back of the engine is hot on both ends of the bolt. I cleaned this up a few weeks ago annd its tight and clean . Im wondering if maybe it might be a bad ground somewhere. I dont think that bolt should be hot. JB

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

You can test the fuel pump. You don't need to replace it.

I doubt it would cause the symptoms you described. However fluctuating vacuum would. Also, a leak in one of the boots might cause the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

well the customer picked up the bike for now and is going to ride it for a while . My question is the ignition control unit with the pressure sensor in it. Has anyone had one fail. Is it something that normally goes all the way out as far as timing goes. Does anyone have any experience with them. Thanks JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.