Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What does everyone think about making reproduction battery covers for both right and left side for the 1200.
All would be ABS same as factory and pretty much ready to paint.

Is there enough of a market for them?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

there is someone already making a repo leftside battery cover in fiberglass for $50,needs minimal bodywork and paint

for those that want an original in paint and emblems etc prices on ebay may seem high until you actually take a cover to a professional to duplicate an original in paint and emblems

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Price point would be under $45.00 usd acording to my friend in the plastic injection biz And would be alot cleaner than the ones on ebay

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

How many would he need to make that price work . There is defanatly a demaned for side covers for all the wings but in low numbers when one loses one!
wilf

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

wilf wrote:
How many would he need to make that price work . There is defanatly a demaned for side covers for all the wings but in low numbers when one loses one!
wilf
On short run proto type 25 min

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
To be honest SLE104 , don't waste your time or money.. I have done this a few times now, and for the effort put in and the sales you get.. You are throwing good money after bad. I have a mould for the GL1200 left already made,including moulds for the posts too that i reinforce so it comes out almost perfect, and yet have sold only one cover in the past 4 months.. My price is just over half what they are asking for an original used part for.
I have yet to see any repro parts for $50 on ebay or anywhere else.

Don't forget People want something that fits in its original place , posts and all , by the time you have finished making and fitting these parts .. the time will have pushed your price up beyond the $100 mark.

But if you can produce a replica, with all the mounting posts for the Under $50 mark i wish you well.. But please don't take what people say as gospel.. been there and done that with good intentions myself.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,681 Posts
Ummmm, you picked up a very old thread here.....

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Either both or none. If I needed a left siude, I'ld be wanting a right side to match rather than repainting professionally .... that way I can re[paint both to look matched as a set and keep my remaining rt side until the day I maybe find a good left in the correct color. At least do half as many rights as lefts.

I have mine secured so unless someone steels them, they are not leaving me.

Saddle bag lids for 1200s are another limited market.

:)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
There is something up with the left sidecovers. Mine fell off and got smashed on the ride home after buying the bike. I figured $20 on eBay would get me another one. Wrong. More like $200. I found LOTS of right side covers fairly cheap, but the left ones were few and far between, and the prices were in low earth orbit. I have no ideas why it is mostly the left ones that fall off, neither one has an actual screw to hold it on. I got one from a local member on another forum for $25, which had several coats of spray paint on it. Lots of work and it looked halfway decent. I painted it and pinstriped it, still don't have the emblems.

Those gray ones on eBay are crappy, VERY pour mold, thick in some places, paper thin in others, and the shape is not quite ride either. A PRECISION made part for the same price would be great. But it is not likely to happen. When you consider the 3 prongs that have to be absolutely perfect, it would not be a cheap part to make.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Jerry once again I have to agree with you????..At this breaker thatI buy my used parts from, has so many right side covers its unreal, btw I think he had the exact color of your Wing from two 1200's that he parted out...But if he has a battery side cover they aren't cheap..When I bought that last 1100 of mine from him, the battery cover was missing, he had one in stock, an exact match, put it on for free, price marked on the back of it????...$85.00!!!!....

1500 right side covers I was bidding on a left and a right covers, plus several other items off of that 1500, When the bidding got over $140.00 just for that right cover, I dropped out on that item...I can order a SET from cyclemax unpainted $110.00 Or chrome ones $119.00, no badges but The badgescan be out ragious too????

I think its called being between a hard spot and a rock, danged if you do, danged if you don't...

My suggestion would be to make one, post pictures and see how much intrerest it creates???..I had a buddy that works for his brother in his machine shop, had a super brace set to me, the brother said it wasn't worth his time to make them, plus he wanted to make them different???

Good luck with it, and there are lots of other bits and pieces, on all of these GHoldwings that need to be duplicated...Think I counted it once but there are over 30 pieces to a 1500 that are painted, very few metal pieces...

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Probably the reason why so many lefts "fly off" is because the left side is constantly be removed for access to the battery. This intern wears out the rubber grommets that hold them in place. I have replaced alll the rubber grommets on both my 1100 and 1200 and the side panels fit better. I now occassionally spray my grommets with silicone to keep them soft and pliable.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have the side covers for my 86 gl1200a. I want to paint them, the emblems are glued on. Is there some way of removing them without ruining them?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
There is something up with the left sidecovers. Mine fell off and got smashed on the ride home after buying the bike. I figured $20 on eBay would get me another one. Wrong. More like $200. I found LOTS of right side covers fairly cheap, but the left ones were few and far between, and the prices were in low earth orbit. I have no ideas why it is mostly the left ones that fall off, neither one has an actual screw to hold it on. I got one from a local member on another forum for $25, which had several coats of spray paint on it. Lots of work and it looked halfway decent. I painted it and pinstriped it, still don't have the emblems.

Those gray ones on eBay are crappy, VERY pour mold, thick in some places, paper thin in others, and the shape is not quite ride either. A PRECISION made part for the same price would be great. But it is not likely to happen. When you consider the 3 prongs that have to be absolutely perfect, it would not be a cheap part to make.

I took the trouble of buying an original mint left side cover, took a mould from it, and came up with this...
I make the posts from the originals too, but reinforce them with brass wire.. But stopped advertising them after i got told they were too expensive at US$185.00 including shipping to the USA.
Have only sold one to the UK and it fitted perfectly..
I guess that i did not learn the first time listening to people on forums... Should have just gone with past experience.. Lots of yes i want one... but no real sales.. hahaha so i live and learn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.