Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

Just bought a 1200 ltd, I do not know much about this bike so looking for some basic info to start.

What is the basic chasis and engine model the Ltd is based on?

Am I right in thinking it is based on the 1200 aspencade?

If so are the fairings the same?

Apart from fuel injection is the engine interchangeable?

Is the fairing the same?

Apart from air suspension is the running gear the same?

I have seen the download site for the repair manuals any idea which ones will cover the Ltd.

Sorry for so many questions hope you can help.

Allan

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Hello,

I also live in the UK and have a GL1200 Limited.

PM me with your email address so I can send you some stuff.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

bumblebee wrote:
Hi all

Just bought a 1200 ltd, I do not know much about this bike so looking for some basic info to start.

What is the basic chasis and engine model the Ltd is based on?

TheGL1200 Goldwing
Am I right in thinking it is based on the 1200 aspencade?
See above answer....
If so are the fairings the same?
The main difference that I know of is the direction of the vent's in the lower front fairing...
Apart from fuel injection is the engine interchangeable?
I believe so, yes...
Is the fairing the same?
See answer #3....
Apart from air suspension is the running gear the same?
The main differencethat I know of is the front forks have 2 springs in each tube instead of 1 in each..
I have seen the download site for the repair manuals any idea which ones will cover the Ltd.
You need the basic shop manual which coversall models from '84-'87, the Limited Edition Suplimental manual, and also the 1985 Electrical Troubleshooting manual is aGREAT addition to your library!!!
Sorry for so many questions hope you can help.
Not a problem and I hope this does help!!!

Don

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Given that the next year they called it the Aspencade SEi (something I just recently learned), I think your assumtion is pretty good. I got an '84 aspencade with my LTD. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the fairings aside from what was bolted to them and the colors. The lower fairings are totally different. The LTD has turning lights and lower vents, the aspencade does not. The handle bars are totally different. I THINK the engine is the same except for the injection, but I wouldn't bet on my knowlege there. Both the aspencade and LTD have air ride, I think the only difference is the controls. The LTD also has 4 speakers compared to the aspencade's 2, which means a slightly different trunk lid (just a few more holes drilled in it). I think pretty much all the electrical is at least slightly different (some of it totally different)between the two bikes. And I think the LTD had a more powerful stator.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

The LTD is a more complex beast than the Aspencade in that it has the following:

1. Self Levelling Suspension controlled by a computer,
2. Fuel Injection and hence an ECU and a barrage of sensors feeding it,
3. An Electronic Trip Computer which amongst other things is hooked up to the stereo to provide tone control, clock, mpg analysis etc,
4. Cruise Control controlled by a computer of sorts.

Computers in this sense means custom electronics.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The closest bike like the 85 LTD to my knowledge and experience is the 86 SEi. It too is fuel injected, trip computer etc....

I have found most parts interchangeable. I am still unsure of the rear drive and rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

The Clymer is a great manual that covers the LTD and has the added bonus of colour wiring diagrams.

A very persistent person can find it for download on a site in the Baltic State that was formerly part of the Soviet Union.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

basically you need to be good with fuel injection to keep it running into eternity....!very fast i hear when running good!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Thanks very much guys very useful info, I will be getting some manuals now.

Allan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.