Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought home a 1985 LTD. Saw it about a month ago, heard it start and run, sounded like a wing should. Several people have test rode it but no takers until today.
About two weeks ago we had a pretty good rain and the bike being out front of this guys house on the sidestand fell over when the ground gave way. Fell into his grass and zero damage to any of the body work. Set it back upright and now it won't start.
He put a new AGM battery and starter solenoid. Makes the same click sound as before the new parts. One click, not several.
I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and all have continuity. Checked out where he put in the battery. 30 amp fuse is good.
I currently have the battery on a charger and last I looked it showed 12.3 volts with my multimeter.
This has to be something simple but so far no discovery.
Anyone with a guess?

·
Administrator
25,717 Posts
I would check if the engine may be hydro locked, a cylinder or cylinders on the left side full of water or some other fluid.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,223 Posts
as Dave said, I think it is hydro locked.
pull all the spark plugs and hit the starter button.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys were correct on the hydrolock. Drained a bunch of liquid out of the two left side cylinders. Hit start button and the solenoid clicks and no starter spin. Went to right side and pulled plugs. No liquid. Still no spin.
Assuming this all went through the air filter to get into the cylinders so still need to check that out.
Battery is fully charged and brand new AGM so thinking that can be ruled out.
Also checked the oil level and it is correct. Looks like oil and no water or milky anything so assuming the crankcase is ok.

Ideas?

IMG_3414.JPG

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you didn't try the starter with all the plugs out still may be more liquid that was trapped between carbs and intake valves in there.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
If the bike sat with the water in the cylinders I suspect the rust and corrosion has seized the cylinder/s up. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fluid removed was fuel not water. Apparently while laying on its side fuel was able to fill those two cylinders. Took out the air filter and inspected it to see if it was wet. Dry as a bone and almost new.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Put the bike on the centerstand and, while rocking the rear wheel, shift her up into 5th gear. Then, with the plugs out, try rotating the rear tire to see if the engine turns over... Let us know what you find....

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Trying to be sure if it is a mechanical issue or possibly a wiring/starter issue. When you push the start button can you hear the solenoid clicking and get the sensation of the starter trying. Might be chasing the wrong thing.. How sure are you the starter is engaging and trying to spin the engine?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I don’t recall if that model has a shutoff switch in case of tip over but if it does it might be the issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the bike on the centerstand and, while rocking the rear wheel, shift her up into 5th gear. Then, with the plugs out, try rotating the rear tire to see if the engine turns over... Let us know what you find....
That was my thought also and I have been trying that. Can't get the gearbox to go past 2nd gear. I have rocked the rear wheel back and forth and cannot get it to go past second. Every time I think it has gone to another gear I go back one cog and we are back at neutral. I know people have test ridden the bike so pretty sure all the gears work. Clutch fluid looks like it was just changed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to be sure if it is a mechanical issue or possibly a wiring/starter issue. When you push the start button can you hear the solenoid clicking and get the sensation of the starter trying. Might be chasing the wrong thing.. How sure are you the starter is engaging and trying to spin the engine?
When I push the start button the solenoid clicks once and there is no indication of movement or sound coming from the starter. Have checked the fusible link (dogbone?) and it is intact, no corrosion, and carries a full 12 volts from the battery to where it plugs into the wiring harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that called the lean angle sensor or the fall over and die switch?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Have you tried jumping over the solenoid.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is this the '85 Limited edition fuel injected bike? If it is there is a bank angle sensor (BAS) that automatically turns off the engine when it goes over on the side. The fuel system is such that no fuel should get through the fuel pump when the engine is stopped. This is why the OEM manual details that the fuel shut off VV is not required to be shut off when the engine is stopped unlike its carburetor cousins. Unusual, not improbable, that you would get cylinder hydro lock on this FI model.

The sensor in the steering stem is for the self cancelling signals.

You mention that you push the starter button and all you hear is a click. Before this happens, and you turn the key to on, do you hear the fuel pump start then stop after about 2 to 4 seconds? The dash should go through a start up sequence, lights going on then off. Does the Fuel System light stay on with the key turned to on, or does it go off? Have you checked the ECU under the rear trunk to see if there are any error codes?

If there are no error codes and the Fuel System light is off, push the start button and you mention all you hear is a click. This would indicate to me that the internal starter solenoid relay is functioning. I would suggest you jump the solenoid and put 12 VDC direct to the starter to determine if it works. Before this I would make sure the engine turns by removing the small cover at the back of the engine and turn the engine with the stator bolt. Once you confirm the engine turns, jump the starter solenoid to determine if the starter will turn. If the starter turns the engine should start with the key on.

Good luck.

The BAS is located just forward of the fuse block, pic attached:

Bank Angle Sensor.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried jumping over the selonoid.
Yes. Also hooked wire direct from battery to starter post where battery cable hooks up. Nothing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this the '85 Limited edition fuel injected bike? If it is there is a bank angle sensor (BAS) that automatically turns off the engine when it goes over on the side. The fuel system is such that no fuel should get through the fuel pump when the engine is stopped. This is why the OEM manual details that the fuel shut off VV is not required to be shut off when the engine is stopped unlike its carburetor cousins. Unusual, not improbable, that you would get cylinder hydro lock on this FI model.

The sensor in the steering stem is for the self cancelling signals.

You mention that you push the starter button and all you hear is a click. Before this happens, and you turn the key to on, do you hear the fuel pump start then stop after about 2 to 4 seconds? The dash should go through a start up sequence, lights going on then off. Does the Fuel System light stay on with the key turned to on, or does it go off? Have you checked the ECU under the rear trunk to see if there are any error codes?

If there are no error codes and the Fuel System light is off, push the start button and you mention all you hear is a click. This would indicate to me that the internal starter solenoid relay is functioning. I would suggest you jump the solenoid and put 12 VDC direct to the starter to determine if it works. Before this I would make sure the engine turns by removing the small cover at the back of the engine and turn the engine with the stator bolt. Once you confirm the engine turns, jump the starter solenoid to determine if the starter will turn. If the starter turns the engine should start with the key on.

Good luck.

The BAS is located just forward of the fuse block, pic attached:

View attachment 323030

1 - 20 of 69 Posts