Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

..... at the Region I  GWRRA weekend  campout ralley  last week, a  rider with many many  more miles than I  (on a 1200,  two  1500's, and his present  1800) leaned over my Shiny  machine  and said... "I used to own a 1200... and  I think from your mileage (130000) its time that  you should replace your jets, and air valves....  it will improve your gas mileage.."/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif Well................... I am a great believer of "if it ain't broke ....."   But my manual says nothing about WHEN to replace these  particular carb parts...  the needles, at least  , look like an easy job./forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif.. but before I wade into the top of a well running carb... . When ?  How long ???  How can you tell that the  needles might be worn , as this rider claimed ?...... Or that the slow air  cutoff valve needs  replacement  ??.......................... oh.. and did I mention.... the Shiny machine won a certificate  for daytime looks , in its class... and another (3rd) for lights  in the street  legal class/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/jumper.gif... . big grin ../forums/images/emoticons/dude.gif.  SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If it's running fine I wouldn't dream of meddling with carbs. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
..... at the Region I GWRRA weekend campout ralley last week, a rider with many many more miles than I (on a 1200, two 1500's, and his present 1800) leaned over my Shiny machine and said... "I used to own a 1200... and I think from your mileage (130000) its time that you should replace your jets, and air valves.... it will improve your gas mileage.."Well................... I am a great believer of "if it ain't broke ....." But my manual says nothing about WHEN to replace these particular carb parts... the needles, at least , look like an easy job... but before I wade into the top of a well running carb... . When ? How long ??? How can you tell that the needles might be worn , as this rider claimed ?...... Or that the slow air cutoff valve needs replacement ??.......................... oh.. and did I mention.... the Shiny machine won a certificate for daytime looks , in its class... and another (3rd) for lights in the street legal class... . big grin ...SilverDave
SilverDave, we'll.. That is a good question. While it is true that CV carb metering needles & needle jets do wear over time, the amount of wear really depends on how active the throttle is during that time, how much slide flutter your carbs have, how many hours your engine has been run compared to the miles traveled. Next to consider is; if the normal wear is helping or hurting your performance or mileage. Due to the EPA lean off-idle to 1/2 throttle requirements to meet emission standards most bikes tend to run a little lean in that area so a little needle jet or straight shank needle wear might be a good thing. As long as you are happy with the runability & fuel mileage you are getting I wouldn't worry about needle or needle jet wear.

Now on the air cut-off valves that could be another story.. Those have rubber diaphragms in them & those tend to harden with age resulting in sluggish or lazy valve operation. If you aren't getting any popping in the exhaust on throttle roll-off (coast) & not getting any indication of rich behavior at idle or low speed running you are probably still OK there as well. It sure doesn't hurt to replace the cut-off valve (or valves) every few years though.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

If it runs good, gets OK milage and doesn't fowl the plugs I don't see any reason to mess with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.