Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thinking about trading my 85 1200 for 89 1500. The 89 has intercom,cb, radio,cruise, reverse that the 85 does not have. I have not ridden any goldwing but the 1200. Would just like some input from riders about both bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Wish i was in your shoes ! I have had my 1200 since new in 86 and love her, but if the jingle was there i would upgrade to a 1500.But think i would look at a later model.

Good Luck Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Also Welcome to the forum !!!!

:waving::waving: Jim

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

As you can tell from my signature line, I have a GL1200 and a GL1500 and here are my obervations of the two:

Cross-country touring - the 1500 wins hands down in comfort, smoothnessand engineperformance.

Local commuting - the 1200 is more nimble and easier to ride around town.

Both of my bikes are Interstates, so neither has reverse and I have yet to feel that it was necessary.

My 1200 is an antique, has more character and starts more conversations than my 1500. However, when I hit the road onmy nextcross-country bucket list trip,the 1500 is my steed of choice.

If possible, I suggest getting a 1500 and also keep the 1200.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

The 1200 was made between 1984, and 1987. Been out of production for 15 years now. The 1500 was made between 1988, and 2000. The longer production rum, along with most recently made would make the 1500 the easiest to get parts for. I have always favored the 1500. When I saw the first stator failure, and what had to be done to fix the problem, I went right from a 1100 to a 1500.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

djoyner has told you pretty much how it is between the two. I owned a 85 1200 LTD from new until last year (about 25 yrs) and it was a really nice touring machine and fairly nimble around town. Also really liked the fuel injection on it. My current 1500 is much more suited to long distance touring than the 1200. The ride is smoother and more comfortable, has loads more torque for riding in the hills, can carry more stuffand runs quieter and smoother. I really liked the 1200 but I definately like the 1500 better and the reverse is a really nice feature. I don't use it often but when you need it, it is very nice.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Plus you can put a car tire on if that is your preference on the 1500

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

go for it i rode my 1200 for 10 yrs and loved it...but when i rode a 1500 it was clear...better all around....89 got some little problems but a major upgrade in gearing comfort and power from the 1200...although a heavier bike

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Clip as stated if you can keep the 1200 and still get the 1500 I would do it. As I have an 84 1200 & a 96 1500. I like that fact that if one of my bikes is down for repair I can just get on the other and still ride. I will use my 1500 for wingding this year but would not have any problem taking the 1200.Just my 2cents Hal

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

djoyner wrote:
As you can tell from my signature line, I have a GL1200 and a GL1500 and here are my obervations of the two:

Cross-country touring - the 1500 wins hands down in comfort, smoothnessand engineperformance.

Local commuting - the 1200 is more nimble and easier to ride around town.

Both of my bikes are Interstates, so neither has reverse and I have yet to feel that it was necessary.

My 1200 is an antique, has more character and starts more conversations than my 1500. However, when I hit the road onmy nextcross-country bucket list trip,the 1500 is my steed of choice.

If possible, I suggest getting a 1500 and also keep the 1200.
I had both last year ('86a) & my current '00a. I myself found that the 1500 was much moreagile then the 1200 & way more fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

1500 hands down.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I had a 1100 when I got the 1500 the 1100 just sat in the Garage. Now my Son rides it and loves it but neither me or my Girlfriend would ever go back to the 1100. We do a lot of touring on the 1500 and she just loves it and really so do I. Oh ya I ride a 1993 Aspencade.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

I made the same move several years ago...I went from a nice 1200 to a nice 1500 ('85 to '96). When I first did it I was in terrible dismay. The 1500 rode like a pig compared to the 1200 for me...The 1200 was agile and graceful and the 1500 was a dump truck to ride...
I was really concerned about my choice...But the addition af Cruise control , a CB radio, and more reliability were the reasons I switched..On the highway or country roads the 1500 can not be beat....
After several modifications and upgrades to equipment I was able to learn how to ride the 1500 and now I would NEVER go back ... They are different and will require a learning curve but it will be worth it if you plan on riding a lot...
Custom seat, upgraded suspension, and highway pegs wil go a long way toward making the 1500 a truely great ride for you...

:claps:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome from another North Carolinian!

If you can do both thats what I would do, if not, then def do the 1500 for all the reasons stated above.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I'm in the same boat too. I just got a 1500, but I really want to keep the 1100 Interstate. What my plan is to strip the 1100 down as a Standard, so that way I have 2 totally different bike experiences. Or maybe not, don't know what to do. But I would like to get down to 2 bikes max....

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I'm in the same boat too. I just got a 1500, but I really want to keep the 1100 Interstate. What my plan is to strip the 1100 down as a Standard, so that way I have 2 totally different bike experiences. Or maybe not, don't know what to do. But I would like to get down to 2 bikes max....
Do it! :action:

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Wingsconsin wrote:
snip....
After several modifications and upgrades to equipment I was able to learn how to ride the 1500 and now I would NEVER go back ... They are different and will require a learning curve but it will be worth it if you plan on riding a lot...
Custom seat, upgraded suspension, and highway pegs wil go a long way toward making the 1500 a truely great ride for you...
I didn't have that experience at all. I don't find the 1500 that much different to ride than my old 1200 was. It does feel heavier at low speeds, like when parking it, but after you gain a little speedthat feeling goes away. I have noticed that thebiggest difference between them is the much greater power of the 1500, especially at low engine speeds.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

The 1500 is not a difficult bike to ride at all, especiallyafterI got used to the added weight (compared to my 1200 and my VTX).Anyone who can ride an earlier model Wing without difficulty will have no problem with a 1500. Like any bike, it feels heavier at slow speeds and when lifting it off the side stand.

I've ridden the Dragon onboth my 1500 and my VTX, andfelt comfortable on bothbikes (I haven't had a chance to slay the Dragon with my 1200 yet). I got a useful tip from a former 1500 owner (now 1800 owner) that I met at Deal's Gap. He suggested pumping up the rear shocks to help the 1500 'fall in the corners' easierand after doing so, I notice a significant improvement when riding the twisties.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:
snip....
I didn't have that experience at all. I don't find the 1500 that much different to ride than my old 1200 was. It does feel heavier at low speeds, like when parking it, but after you gain a little speedthat feeling goes away. I have noticed that thebiggest difference between them is the much greater power of the 1500, especially at low engine speeds.
Perhaps my 1500 needed a bit of work to get it right before I realized what a great bike it is....I got it with 43,000 miles on it and have done a lot of work to it since then..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Many people who get 1500s and think they ride like Shriner clown cars are usually suffering from loose parts in the front end. Particularly worn fork bushings and wheel and steering head bearings.
Once they get those resolved, add a fork brace and get an appropriate tire up front, they often turn into the bike they thought it would have been in the first place.
But it can be very disappointing in the beginning. Especially since they aren't really used to handling the nuances of this new beast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.