Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

bought my first wing 2 years ago and have used this forum to help me get all the bugs out! Running great and riding more! My question is- can a 1200 pull a trailer OK. Wanting to go on longer trips, but of course my wife needs to pack more to go with than the bike will hold, so looking at building a light weight trailer to pull, so can it handle it? Seems to have good power and I know without reverse it can be tricky to handle, any other problem? Thanks for your help and input!:waving:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

It sure can. I did it with mine... It will pull well if you balance the load, and have the tongue weight right. I couldnt tell it was back there till I had a hill to pull. It still did fine,but it pulled the hilla bit slower...

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I pulled a trailer with my 86 and it did well....go for it

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

I built a Harbor Freight trailer to pull behind my 1200 and I like it alot. I use the rule of thumb of not pulling more than 1/3 of the weight of the bike (cargo and trailer). altho others go over and way over that rule.

You have to be careful to remember that the trailer is back there and that it is wider than the bike or you can hit a curb or a pole with the trailer.

The long and short of it is, that it will limit your maneuverability and if you have to stop fast the trailer is going to increase your stopping distance according to how much weight you have in it.

If you are careful a trailer is great for traveling. Ride safe :)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Mine pulls a trailer just fine. The weights from 250 to 300lbs. when loaded.
Ditto what the other posters say.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

no problem pulling trailers with the 1200, just make sure you have a good nose weight, and tyre pressure aswell as load distribution, also give a little extra time and carewhen braking with a loaded trailer

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

My friend has an 83 GW and pulled a popup camper with it no problem. He got tired of it sitting since he got the Corvette so he gave the popup to me , I just had to come pick it up.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I had an 87I a few years ago and I pulled a camper trailer from Texas to Montana and then from Montana to Ohio and from Ohio to Florida then Florida to Texas and I did not have any problems what so ever (except a sore backside)

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

2slim wrote:
Mine pulls a trailer just fine. The weights from 250 to 300lbs. when loaded.
Ditto what the other posters say.
Is that Bushtech running gear on your trailer??

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Don't sweat it. :action::action::action::action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

cjjr wrote:
My question is- can a 1200 pull a trailer OK....... , any other problem?

The 1200 should be just fine and may be a little better suited than our 1100s.

Engine power will be fine. If you would normally drop one gear to pass another vehicle(s) then with the trailer you would drop two gears to be comparable.

A fully loaded trailer will take a good bite out of your braking abilities. Don't let there be any doubt on this. Even with the brakes on my 1800 the trailer takes its toll. As long as you are aware of this and the increased distance that you will need, all should be fine.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.