Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just tried replacing the rear wheel bearings in my 86 1200A. I ordered the bearings from mother honda and when they came in I found out that the right bearing on my tire had a 20mm wide bearing and the factory bearing for the 86 is 14mm wide bearing. I wound up locating the bearing online and was able to replace it. I need to make sure I know whichrim I have before I order a newbrake rotor.Does anybody know if, or which rear rim for the 1200's had a 20mm wide bearing in the right side inthem? Or can you you tell mere to find the identification markings on the rim areto figure it out? I also wonder if somebody hadn't modify my rim to accept a wider bearing because of the sidecar.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Wasn't there a bearing problem with some early 1200's? I wonder if part of Honda's fix was to fit a wider bearing?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
Does anybody know if, or which rear rim for the 1200's had a 20mm wide bearing in the right side inthem? Or can you you tell mere to find the identification markings on the rim areto figure it out? I also wonder if somebody hadn't modify my rim to accept a wider bearing because of the sidecar.
All 1200's used the 14mm bearing.
There are two possibilities, either the wheel was machined for the wider bearing or it was replaced with a 1500 wheel.
The 1200 used a 15" tyre and the 1500 a 16" tyre so checking the tyre size should get you on track.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The 84 and 85 had the bearing problems which required a larger in diameter sleeve. I am running a 15" tire like what suppose to be on the 86. So I guess somebody modified my rear wheel.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
The 84 and 85 had the bearing problems which required a larger in diameter sleeve. I am running a 15" tire like what suppose to be on the 86. So I guess somebody modified my rear wheel.
The bearing bores can wear in any wheel, it was just more common with the 84/65 Goldwing.

To be sure it is a 1200 wheel could you post pictures of both sides of the wheel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.