Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post a lot but I'm here 2>3 times a day. Seems there's been a lot of questions/interest in 1200's lately. This ought to make Dennis happy, and hopefully not upset Bike too much...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is it a resurgence or just a couple of guys who ask a lot of questions?

Reactions: julimike54

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I count six different members,(including you), since the 1st of July. Not judging, I do miss my 86 Interstate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do love my 1200. I don't think I'm going to get anything newer until I get something fuel injected.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
"Resurgence?" Don't know that they were ever forgotten by those who knew them. I know many just had to have a "new improved" 1500 in the '90s, etc, like they had to have a 1800 later, but many found wasn't so really much better after all. I bought my '85 1200A in '95 and even then, there were still a lot of 1200s on the road. Then, as the years passed, I saw fewer on the road until it got to the point, only one I'd see on a ride or at a gathering was often mine. Had a lot of interest shown by other riders, some who were younger than my 1200 even. "What year is that?" "Has it got reverse?" "How big is it?" etc.

In well maintained condition, a 1200 is still a great ride by any measure. They do like a few "R"s.

Progressive suspension and a Corbin saddle help make it even better, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wouldn't take much for you to get another one... or two Terry.

I've gotten too used to the brakes and better lighting on my ST. I used to brag on the 7 3/4 gallon tank and long range. This year it finally sank in that I only have a 4 gallon ass. Old age means more stops...

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,246 Posts
I've gotten too used to the brakes and better lighting on my ST. I used to brag on the 7 3/4 gallon tank and long range. This year it finally sank in that I only have a 4 gallon ass. Old age means more stops...
that larger gas tank, gives you a lot of freedom to tour in the mountains while camping, and not having to go find a gas pump somewhere.

I used to own a ST1100, I never was able to run the tank to empty in a single run down the Interstate Highway system.

my legs, and back, started complaining long before the gauge ever fell down below FULL.

On my 1800, I am limited to 1.5 hours, some times 2 hours before I have to get off.... I always top it off, and usually is about 4 gallons if that much.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
My problem is my 4 gallon ass has turned into a 7 gallon ass through the years. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My problem is my 4 gallon ass has turned into a 7 gallon ass through the years. :surprise:

After watching you plug that tire at Willville, I wasn't going to say anything...

Reactions: BrianInPA

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
I did 1500 miles in Eastern OR last month. My buddie's Suzuki got a flat in Kennewick WA. There was a Harley dealer there that sold Suzukis on the side so we took the bike there. At the service shop we were surrounded by a bunch of Harley posers. My bike was filthy, covered with bugs and dirt from being used in the backcountry, dirt roads and all. The import parts manager came out and saw my '85. He started talking very loud about it being the best motorcycle ever made. Turned a few heads.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I love my 85, the 1200cc engine is just right for me and I cna carve canyons without any problems.

Reactions: AZgl1800
1 - 14 of 14 Posts