Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone

I'm new to this board and to the 1200 interstate I just purchased. My question is, can a reverse be added to an 86 1200 Goldwing? Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

mines a 77 gl1000 Whats reverse:baffled:. ThAT SOUNDS like a lot of work with the tranny to put reverse on, I don't think it would be worth it,

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome MRash.

Reverse on the 1500's works off the starter motor. When the lever is lifted, the starter is locked into an idle gear. Hit the starter button and the gear engages the first gear in the tranny rotating it in the opposite direction.

The 1200's starter drives a chain which is attatched to a drum with 3 roller bearings pre-loaded on springs. When the starter is engaged, the roller bearings ride up on a cam, locking the flywheel to the starter and thus rotating the enginefor start up. This roller drum cannot be reversed because it will release the cam lock. Something like the starter drive on a GM vehicle.

Mr1200 is correct about Honda.. Most of us just went out and bought a 1500 for that reverse option. HOWEVER,,, If you're a mechanical engineer, perhaps you could design & develop something for us grunts. ? :baffled:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board MRash. Like lots of the good members here, I've been riding Wings a long time and I've never heard of anybody being able to add reverse to any of the 4 cylinder models. It just hasn't been acclomplished. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks that answered any questions I might have had about installing a reverse. I knew that by reversing the polarity on the starter it would runn backwards, but the chain etc involved I was unaware of. Again Thanks Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

MRash wrote:
Thanks that answered any questions I might have had about installing a reverse. I knew that by reversing the polarity on the starter it would runn backwards, but the chain etc involved I was unaware of. Again Thanks Mike
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Mike!:waving::waving:

The reverse is one of the reasons I sold my 1200 and bought a 1500. It was alright when I had the woman who hangs around here with me 'cause she could push the bike back when needed, but sometimes solo it was a pain. There are several of the guys on the forum who think reverse is a bit un-macho, but pushing back in loose gravel was to my mind one good reason to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr1200... use the words "sweetie, honey, (pet name) etc, when you ask... If she helps, immedieately reward her with a begging thank you (such as "thank you so much honey, I couldn't have done it without you") and buy her a little something later in the day.. Dinner out, new pocket book or a blouse or something.. Get the point... ?

THEN, next time you ask,, she will feel that she owes you and will be happy to assit.!!! :)

Works for me!!! :D

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

My wife just swats me

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I have seen in an older magazine a 1200 reverse kit that was offered.I will try to find it and post the article.It was offered then discontinued as i tried to get one.

Till Later

Dman:clapper::skipping::clapper::skipping:

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

I got rid of my (not better half) she wouldn't ride anyway, instead of getting other half to back you up do what I do, start training with weights and do lots of Squats to train your legs. I can back that sucker up a hill now. And no I ain't a young pup, 48 and lifting!
I know it will take a while to develop your legs but it does impress other riders when I back that thing up a hill. Just a option to reverse!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

MRash wrote:
Hello everyone

I'm new to this board and to the 1200 interstate I just purchased. My question is, can a reverse be added to an 86 1200 Goldwing? Thanks Mike

Welcome to the message board. The answer to youe question is no, it just can't be done. Pity really as an Aspencade is a bit of a beast to push backwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.