Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all !!

Finally got the Motad exhaust fitted to my 1200 sei – thanks for the help guys…

Now I can start looking at why the engine is running oddly.. please bear with me whilst I try and explain…

The engine revs real sweet… sounds good and smooth .. BUT..

The bad stuff:

1) When revving on the centre stand, as the revs reduce to tick over, the engine stutters and vibes
2) Tick-over is … ‘lumpy’
3) When riding the bike, and closing the throttle to slow down, the engine stutters and vibes
4) When opening the throttle, to pick up speed again, the engine doesn’t like it.. you guessed it, stutters and vibes – but if you close the throttle and open a few times (sort of massage it) I can find a ‘sweet spot’ and accelerating is ok again…

The good stuff:

1) When accelerating up a slight gradient… the engine is as smooth as silk! It seems as long as I am forcing fuel into the engine… its fine …

So here is the $1000 question…

Could this be blocked jets?, dodgy wiring? Dicky fuel pump? All of the above?! Its seems to me it’s the sort of thing in the old days, I could have fixed with a new set of points!! (the bike has brand new plugs btw)

Arrgg!

Wonder if anyone could pull a couple of rabbits out the hat for me… would be most grateful!! (the simpler the better!)

Thanks everyone..

J

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Johnnyx:waving:Some of the Guru's will be along shortly, I am sure they will be able to get your problem sorted.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Did you check the plugs J? What colour are they? If the carbs are running rich it would cause the bike to run a bit fluffy at idle.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

How'd it run before the exhaust change?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

...hi guys..

weewillywing, The plugs are pretty clean - sort of very dark grey (not jet black)..

Oregonwinger - The engine seems to run better since the new exhaust... but really it was more or less like this before the change .. but it felt worse because of the bad exhaust noise...

I can't even pin the problem down to left or right cylinders... it does feel as if sometimes its either not getting a spark when it needs it or not getting fuel when it needs it... or maybe the timing is out?

sigh....

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

That's a SEi, so it's injected. Try looking at the led's on the left side, under trunk. See if any are lit. Watch them, have somebody turn on key, it should go thru a boot-up. Then all go out. If they do, fire it up, and see if any light up. Have to have the chart to de-cipher what they mean. Try this site, and good luck.

http://www.intouchmail.net/~fmattox/limited/manual.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.