Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 GL1200A W/California Sidecar 1978 GL1000
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble keeping the clutch disengaged on my 1986 Aspencade.
I removed and rebuilt it today, and it definitely showed plenty of evidence of a leak
Initially problem was solved, but after about 40 miles, just as I drove into the garage, the issue happened again.
Do I just maybe need to bleed it again, or could the master be the problem.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It’s most likely the return hole in the master cylinder,it’s a tiny hole in the bottom of the mc,it’s covered by a shiny metal piece thats removabybwith needle nose

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
You may have to also rebuild the master cylinder. The fluid can return past the front cup and not leak externally.

Reactions: icechopper

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Dave,does the 1200 motor have the seal in the engine like the 1500,if so Tory,did you replace it?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rebuild kit gave me the spring, bleeder cap, banjo washers, piston seal and the pushrod seal on the piston. I did not get another for the motor side.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s most likely the return hole in the master cylinder,it’s a tiny hole in the bottom of the mc,it’s covered by a shiny metal piece thats removabybwith needle nose
What is the best way to clear that?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,341 Posts
What is the best way to clear that?
You can use a single wire from a wire brush. That works well. Also a welding tip cleaner works or a small guitar string. That is a very tiny hole and it can get clogged fairly easily.

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
That will cause the clutch to slip when it gets hot, not bleed off. Good idea to make sure it's clean though.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If the motor side seal is bad then brake fluid will enter the motor,if the fluid gets low in the master cylinder and there’s no sign of exterior leak ,the seal is bad,good idea to replace that anyway considering the age of the bike.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the motor side seal is bad then brake fluid will enter the motor,if the fluid gets low in the master cylinder and there’s no sign of exterior leak ,the seal is bad,good idea to replace that anyway considering the age of the bike.
I curious why that seal is not with the kit? Also, don't the others have to fail first for fluid to even get past the piston?

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
That's only if the weep hole is plugged and the seal is bad anyway, in which case it would leak oil. Very slim chance of brake fluid getting in the engine.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,341 Posts
Yes, the seal in the piston would have to be leaking first for the fluid to get to the clutch cover seal. For fluid to be going down in the master cylinder but no leak to be visible, the seals in the slave and clutch cover would have to be leaking and also the weep hole would need to be plugged up.
Edit: Looks like Dave and I posted at the same time and said pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I suppose You do not need to be overly concerned about the engine seal,Good luck👍

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose You do not need to be overly concerned about the engine seal,Good luck👍
Considering anything at this point.
As you can see by the picture under tho motor, it looks like she leaked for awhile. Also alot of buildup crud inside on the piston. However, no fluid leaked when I removed the slave.
Also, I do not seemed to be loosing fluid.
When I just got the bike a couple months ago. A few weeks ago I noticed the problem. I flushed and bled it and it was better but came back. I rebuilt the slave and was good but now came back.
If I'm not loosing fluid could it be the master?
Previous owner kept it running but had not licensed since 2017 if that matters.

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. Just reread it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Do I just maybe need to bleed it again, or could the master be the problem.

After I rebuilt my slave cylinder and saw how nasty it was inside of there, I rebuilt my master cylinder as well. Yes, it was just as nasty and something a reasonable mechanic would consider an essential task. I wrote a "how to" on the job if you would like me to share?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I had trouble keeping the clutch disengaged on my 1986 Aspencade.
I removed and rebuilt it today, and it definitely showed plenty of evidence of a leak
Initially problem was solved, but after about 40 miles, just as I drove into the garage, the issue happened again.
Do I just maybe need to bleed it again, or could the master be the problem. View attachment 326440 View attachment 326441

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I found when bleeding the master cylinder it Must be Power Bled. Hand bleeding doesn't get it done. The same goes for the brake system. Hope this works for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts