Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my new 85. Bike wouldn't run when I bought it so didn't get to test drive it. So I don't know if this was an existing issue.

So rebuilt the carbs and took it for a ride the other day. Clutch seems fine until I run it hard and shift into third. It starts to slip some and continues slipping into fourth. Ran out of road and let off while shifting to fifth. If I drive normal it is fine.

From what I found with a forum search is it could be wrong oil, or blocked return port in clutch master. I thought I read somewhere there is a seal under the return hole that you could hit with the wire you use to clean it? Or do you have to disassemble the master to poke the hole?

I also read to run seafoam in the oil to help clean the clutch. Unless I read wrong, the guy said to use a whole can and change oil after 100-200 miles. Do you use a whole can?

Here's the oil I used. Walmart didn't have the Delo 400, or dino Rotella. Is this synthetic blend oil ok?

20210404_210228[1].jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
Look on the back for the API donut. The upper half should be the oil spec, the lower half should be empty. API SN is good. Attached pic of the API donut you are looking for - nothing in the lower half: API-CK-4-Donut-non-energy.jpg Your bike was manufactured well before the invention of the JASO standard. Use the JASO standard as an indication that there are no friction/energy conservation modifiers in the oil. Use the API donut as more gospel - lots of Euro formulations out there that are API SN spec and the API donut is blank in the lower half. The Owner's Manual indicates that the engine needs a good detergent oil with no modifiers - no mention of the JASO specification.

Shell Rotella oil has no friction/energy conservation modifiers, but the oil spec is slightly different than API SN. Picture of the back of the oil container would be good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Most likely the return hole in the master cylinder,it’s under the shiny metal piece,USA small object to clear it them bleed the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look on the back for the API donut. The upper half should be the oil spec, the lower half should be empty. API SN is good. Attached pic of the API donut you are looking for - nothing in the lower half: View attachment 325449 Your bike was manufactured well before the invention of the JASO standard. Use the JASO standard as an indication that there are no friction/energy conservation modifiers in the oil. Use the API donut as more gospel - lots of Euro formulations out there that are API SN spec and the API donut is blank in the lower half. The Owner's Manual indicates that the engine needs a good detergent oil with no modifiers - no mention of the JASO specification.

Shell Rotella oil has no friction/energy conservation modifiers, but the oil spec is slightly different than API SN. Picture of the back of the oil container would be good.

Good luck.

Looks like my oil will be ok. Thanks.

I'll try cleaning the hole. Is there a seal under it that I may poke?

20210404_215524[1].jpg

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
4 oz of Sea Foam is more than enough, ride for 100+ miles and it will scour all of the varnish loose from the innerds of the engine.

T6 IMO, would be a better oil to use, to keep the clutch working perfect.
I am using T6 5w40 and it has stopped all of the miss-shifts on my bike...

and several others who have followed me on that oil change...
Flyone in particular called me and he has gone with T6 5w40 and his newer 1800 which was shifting badly, and clutch slipping, has quit doing both.

He is very happy with the change in oil types.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
The hole you are looking for is VERY small, like the one you have missed on the brake side...however...
it sounds more like your damper plate is failing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Working on my new 85. Bike wouldn't run when I bought it so didn't get to test drive it. So I don't know if this was an existing issue.

So rebuilt the carbs and took it for a ride the other day. Clutch seems fine until I run it hard and shift into third. It starts to slip some and continues slipping into fourth. Ran out of road and let off while shifting to fifth. If I drive normal it is fine.

From what I found with a forum search is it could be wrong oil, or blocked return port in clutch master. I thought I read somewhere there is a seal under the return hole that you could hit with the wire you use to clean it? Or do you have to disassemble the master to poke the hole?

I also read to run seafoam in the oil to help clean the clutch. Unless I read wrong, the guy said to use a whole can and change oil after 100-200 miles. Do you use a whole can?

Here's the oil I used. Walmart didn't have the Delo 400, or dino Rotella. Is this synthetic blend oil ok?

View attachment 325448
The clutch plate springs may be weak. I had that happen on my 86 Cavalcade. Changed to Barnett springs and it never did it again. That oil should be fine, I ran Rotella T-6 in mine for years, no problems.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts

View attachment 325448
So your wing uses diesel oil !!!!! Is that the oil you used ?

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
So your wing uses diesel oil !!!!! Is that the oil you used ?
If you don't you are in the minority here. I tried real motorcycle oil and went back to Rotella before it was due again.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
I never use anything else, for the last 20 years+

used to be Delo 15w40
now it is Rotella T6 5w40

1 - 11 of 11 Posts