Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 SE
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

'84 1200 Aspy -one phase of statorhas gone bad -90,000 Km. I want to replace (instead of going external) so am looking for opinions/experiences with either Honda replacement stator or aftermarket stator (made by RM Stator out of Quebec Canada) or some other I don't know about... Anyone happy/not happy with the performance of either of these units?

Thanks in advance.:waving:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Just put mine back together. Used the RM Stator.85,000 miles.Pumping out 14.5 at idle! Very impressed, great looking quality unit compared to the Honda. Hope I get another 20 years!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

What made you guys go with the stator replacement instead of the poor boy?
I am still undecided on which way I will go when mine gives up, which I hope is still a long way off.:)

:12red:
Dean

·
Premium Member
2000 SE
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the infoHillbilly1. Do you run any extra lights or accessories?

Dean, I am leary of running a shieve off the front of the crankshaft... wan't designed for that bending load... although there seems to be a bunch of guys who have done it and like it...,and I haven't heard of any crank failures... yet.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

That's one of the reasons I chose V drive. Besides the fact it is about 1/4 inch narrower. That helps with installation clearances. Alternater belt doesn't have to be so tight. And, the cranks is actually quite robust, so I don't think bending fatigue is an issue. The one I did is still rolling along 3 yrs later with new owner. I don't know how many miles he has, tho. I see him gassing up occasionally, and thought about stopping and talking to him.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The 3 rib serpentine belt has even more grip and is very lose on my external.
14.2 volts when running lights and heated jacket and other lights are turned on.

My reason for putting the external on was the fear of losing my third alternator 2000 miles from home.
Now I need not concern myself, the alternator I have can be slipped off in less than 15 minutes and a taxi ride to an alternator/starter repair shop which are more numerous than Honda dealers.

If a belt on an alternator is going to bend a main shaft, I think we would see a lot more problems with the 1200 engines than we do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.