Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just need to hear it from the experts

Ihave a nice 84 interstate 30 k miles, that I have had for 14 years. The last three howeverI do not go on long rides due to the battrey dieing.

I dread taking out the engine if not nessisary.

The stator was hard wired when I bought the bike and the bike shows 14 volts at 3k but drops back to 12 at idle.

The bike will run whenIdisconnect the battery all together.

wondering if it could be something I have put on as far as short or should I go a head and replace?

also last summer when bike was warm and on hot days the clutch would slip.

I have always used golden spectro full but swaped to honda line oil.

That did not help. being thatIhave not been riding much due to the charging wonder if the discs have gotten dry

thanks in advance for any help

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

If you have 14 volts at 3K rpm your charging system is working. Not unusual to see just 12 volts at idle. Just not enough rpm to recharge. Never disconnect the battery while the bike is running. You run the risk of having a high voltage spike do serious damage to your electronics. I have seen some do it and get away with it. I have also seen it done and blow out some expensive things. Have you had your battery itself tested?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your repley
yes I have bought a couple of good batterys in the last 3 years. the one in it is a gel that seems to work great for about 100 miles then dead :-( also as far as 14 volts more like 13-14 seemed low to me. I disconnected all radio lights etc thatI have added on to the bike thinking it might be that? still happens. Also just put the new honda oil in it ran it about 100 miles still slips when it gets hot?
thanks agian

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hi goldwingdoug. When you get a chance, please add your location to your profile. If the battery has been in there for 3+ years, I start thinking about replacing it. I would also flush the old fluid out of the clutch, replace with new. Add some Seafoam or MMO to the crankcase, ride for about 300 miles, then change the oil and filter. I would go with Shell Rotella T, or Chevron Delho 400. I agree, the numbers suggest your system is working.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

a sitting battery will soon be a dead battery.... get one of those more expensive trickly and maintainence chargers and plug it in when the bike is sitting

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Hello Goldwingdoug. Welcome to a great site. Your battery shold not go dead after one hundred miles. At 2,000 rpm's you should have 14.4 + volts. If not I would do a stator test. Go to the main menu on this site and go to Bikers Workshop. Scroll down to I think it is #20. Follow the info there and let us know what you get. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Tony

will do :) The bike is in a warm garage on a Battery tender and is new.

Iknow that the battery can go at any time butI dont think it is the battery"pretty new" I will check out agian

Could it be the wireing from the stator to the battery?

have a great thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

If you perform the stator test, and it's good, I'd suspect a bad regulator. When mine went out it was intermintant as to when it would charge due to heat I think. I tried an aftermarket reg. and it only lasted for about 20 miles. Installed an OEM reg. and she's charging like a bull!!!!

Here's a link to a page from Vic's site that might help. Good Luck!!

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewforum.php?f=52

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.