Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While I have the bike almost completely apart, I would like to go ahead and remove the swingarm, and inspect and lube the engine output shaft and U joint. Does anyone know if anyone sells the special tool for the locknuts. I realize it should be fairly easy to make one, I just wouldn't mind having a real one unless it costs a fortune.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
While I have the bike almost completely apart, I would like to go ahead and remove the swingarm, and inspect and lube the engine output shaft and U joint. Does anyone know if anyone sells the special tool for the locknuts. I realize it should be fairly easy to make one, I just wouldn't mind having a real one unless it costs a fortune.
No need to remove swing arm just for inspecting splines or greasing them or U-joint. Just use drive shaft like a long handle, pull joint off shaft. To inspect shaft splines, ease rubber off lip at motor and push back. You can likewise lube splines.

I usually have the drive shaft still attached to final drive (lube those splines) and slide U-joint on end (lube splines on both ends of U-joint) with long side of U-joint towards engine, insert U-joint end up tube, and cupping final drive in left hand, feel and guide U-joint onto output shaft with right as I sit in the floor beside right side of bike.

Now, if you just want to"R & R" the swing arm, that'sdifferent.

:?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks. I have never done this on a Goldwing. I have done it about 20 times on 2 Vulcan 750s, on those you cannot remove the driveshaft without removing the swingarm, because the U joint is part of the driveshaft, and it won't fit through the swingarm. You can still get to and lube both ends of the driveshaft, but it is a real PITA trying to get to the front joint by pulling back that rubber cover, as there is still almost no room. You can see everything, but lubing it is very difficult. It is also difficult to reinstall the swingarm (which includes the U joint) on the engine output shaft, because the U joint keeps dripping down. It can be done, but it takes awhile. On that bike, removing the swing arm is not a viable option, because you have to remove the entire exhaust system to get it off.

I will try it without removing the swingarm, I have no reason to believe the swingarm bearings are bad, I was just looking for an easier way to get to all the splines.

If I still decide to remove the swingarm, I will make the tool, I have an old socket that is the perfect size.

I just thought that after all this time, one of the online parts suppliers might sell the tool at a reasonable cost.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Here is one from E-Bay. If you still need it I can send you the
one I bought. I am going to put it into the tool loaner program.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks. I decided not to remove the swingarm. It was a lot easier to get to the engine output shaft and U joint than I though it was going to be from my experience with other shaft drive bikes.

I also found out you don't need that tool to remove the locknut. I soaked it in Kroil overnight, then tapped a few times with a blunt punch, and it came loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.