Just what you wanted to do with all your spare time huh! :waving:

Keep up the good work! :clapper:

Bob:11grey:

keeps me out of the bars.;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

What does Honda call for to seal the case halves? I suppose I could go look but the book's out in the shop and it's 93F here today. On the Continental and Lycoming flat fours it was common practice to use a thin coat of sealer and lay a thin silk sewing thread along the case flange, the thread would squash out and really sealed things up nice, never a leak.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

exavid wrote:
What does Honda call for to seal the case halves? I suppose I could go look but the book's out in the shop and it's 93F here today. On the Continental and Lycoming flat fours it was common practice to use a thin coat of sealer and lay a thin silk sewing thread along the case flange, the thread would squash out and really sealed things up nice, never a leak.
I don't know, Clymer manual recommends Gasgacinch, which I haven't seen in years. It looks like it came from the factory with RTV silicone between the case halves. Thats what I'm scraping off anyway.:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like the red silicon Permatex. It only takes a very thin coat and the stuff stands up to very high temperatures. It is a pain in the arse to clean it off. I wonder if this stuff would cut it?

http://www.handymanformula.com/

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I used silicone the first time I changed my stator with no problems and used permatex the second time, I do get a slight leakage of oil with the permatex. Not an actual leave so much as a misting of oil around the joint.
I guess its going to keep misting as I will do the external alternator next time :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's why the aircraft engine used the silk thread, even it there was a missed spot of sealant, the thread was known to be continuous so once it was squashed in there was no way for oil to get past. I'm talking about a thin thread, like one you'd use in hand sewing delicate fabric.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Gambler, thanks for sharing the pictures!! By the looks of the lathe in the background, this project won't be a problem for you.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

johnmac wrote:
Hey Gambler, thanks for sharing the pictures!! By the looks of the lathe in the background, this project won't be a problem for you.
I just got done restoring that, 1946 Logan model 820. I still need to replace the original electrical motor. It's Sam Adams time..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hey gambler keep us informed of the evolution of the project it must be nice to have the place (room)to get your hands durty an work on a project like this.

Good luck By the way is it a LTD or SEi i noticed a (crank pos sensor) on the 2 first pics?????:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Is this an 84 1200? Have you pulled the crankshaft out yet? It would be interesting to see some pics of the journals and bearings since there was so much loose metal floating around in the engine. BTW, have you sourced the replacement parts you'll need so far? It is my understanding that the main and connecting rod bearings were no longer available from Honda for the 1200. Also, how many miles on this engine and how does the crosshatch pattern look in the cylinders? Most 1200's I've seen still had the crosshatch pattern clearly visible on the cylinder walls illustrating how little wear occured over the years. I don't think Honda sold a lot of pistons and rings for these bikes

Permatex produces a gasket maker that's different than silicone in that it dries harder andbonds better. It comes in a can with a brush built into the cover. I have used this sealer in the past to seal case halves with good success. I had thought about using silicone but was afraid that I might have problems like Twisty had with oilseepage.

Thanks for posting the pics and looking forward to more if you have them. Good luck with the project.

(Now if we could get some pics of an 87 1200 with the cases open we could do some gear comparison.)

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The machine tolerances for both halves of the case are within .001" - .004". All you need is a very clean surface and some good quality silicone.. I use the Permatex gold.. Never ever had a leak... You already know this, but it's critical to torque the case bolts properly so there is no distortion on the mating surfaces..

1 - 20 of 395 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.