Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all I'm having an issue with my trunk on my 85 aspencade i know the trunks are notorious for cracking at the bottom around the mounts because of vibration and mine has not cracked yet and i also have the bigger metal support inside the lower trunk my question is, is there anyway to help stop the trunk from vibrating to dampin it somehow, or to brace it up more the reason i ask is the better half of me has complained of it slapping her in the back and when shes not on the bike with me Ive turned around to see it vibrating wildly. any input would be appreciated thanks to all..

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
imported post

The only thing I can suggest is start from the ground up.. If the trunk mounting bolts/rubber gromits are tight, I'd start by checking the tire balance as the trunk vibration is caused by something, either the tires or possible loose trunk mounting bolts...

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it isn't the trunk frame rattling around? Could be worth looking at that too.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

take the trunk off and check it closely to make sure it doesn't have cracks in the trunk mount,and that the shock bushings are good,you might even check the tire balance

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

so far i can say is that i put the dyna beads in the tires they are working great its the bumps i should have clarafied that even the tiny bumps that you barly feel cause this trunk rack is on firm it seems as the plastic is flexing in the trunk and nothing is cracked.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

There are suppose to be rubber "bumpers" located at strategic locations on the support bracket. A lot of times they get "disappeared" when the trunk has been removed.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

there are three rubber bushings under the trunk 2 on the side and one in the center of the rear i am using a trunk relocation bracket in which the 2 rear corner bushings are between the trunk frame and the bracket i didn't put them on the actual location bracket cause they fit the squared off frame and the location bracket is rounded I wonder if i should try to put those bushings on the location bracket and make them fit to see if it helps. Just wonderingif any other 1200 owners have had this issue of it slapping the back of the passenger?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Part of the issue in the relocation bracket. It extends the trunk further back and amplifies the movement. I added one to mine so I could slide the seat clear back. I used the first relocation hole to help keep the flopping around to a minimum. It still does quite a bit, I know what you mean by looking back and seeing it bouncing around. As far as it hitting your passenger in the back, tell her to lean back :)

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

I had issues with the truck bouncing around I friend could see it when riding behind me. I just assumed that it was the rubber mounts causing it, I couldn't see any other problems causing it, but it got worse.

I took the inner plate off, and discovered a crack, running almost the width of the bottom part, so I removed it completely from the bike and turned it over, only to find another crack, had joined the first one and now was a whole piece of loose plastic.

the cracks couldn't be seen at all by looking. so maybe taking the trunk off for a real good inspection, might find the problem.

good luck,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.