Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys are exhaust valve guides supposed to be longer than intake valve guides because my 85 1200 has 2 diffrent lengths the exhuast guides are 1/8" longer but are the same id and od as the intake i ordered new exhaust guides and they came in today and come to find out they are 1/8" shorter than what i pulled out of my head on the honda parts fitch they only show one # available but don't specifi which one it is or is honda saying just use the shorter ones as they are the replacements for the old longer ones I'm confused any help would be apriciated

Attachments

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Looked at the fisch and the older number (12205-371-305) has been superceded to the new 12204-371-305. Order 8 total if you are doing both heads. Do you have the proper guide reamer? The new guides are smaller ID and require reaming to the proper size after they are installed in the head. You'll also have to recut the valve seats for proper valve seating.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
The shorter ones are fine. Be careful fitting these guides, they break easily.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys gonna move forward with the install :waving: greatly appriciated

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Looked at the fisch and the older number (12205-371-305) has been superceded to the new 12204-371-305. Order 8 total if you are doing both heads. Do you have the proper guide reamer? The new guides are smaller ID and require reaming to the proper size after they are installed in the head. You'll also have to recut the valve seats for proper valve seating.
Good luck finding the reamer! Weird size valve stems 0.257" / 6.55mm.
I ended up using an adjustable straight flute reamer.
Be warned! Cast iron does not like straight flute reamers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.