Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im working on a 84 aspencade with 129K on the clock. It has a intermittent coolant leak on the left head. Its not blown into the cylinder but the right lower front head does steam off an on on occasion just above the left front head pipe.I rechecked the torque on the head gasket and the bolts are up to torque. the engine sounds good. . would I have to mess with the hydraulic valve shims with a head gasket and valve stem seal replacement is the basic question. also would anyone have the part number for the Honda top end gasket set.Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I believe this is the part number you're looking for: Honda - 061A1-MG9-S00

Is it possible that the leak is external? Dripping down from the coolanttube, after the thermostat?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

Hi JBZ,

Many years ago a Dealer mechanic convinced me those identicalsymptoms were a head gasket. Long story short: It was the water pump. The liquid was coming from the weep hole back to the exhaust and steaming. As it traveled farther it made chalkie marks all around the head.

Anyway, make very sure you are tearing into the correct problem. And you shouldn't need any shims unless you change valves or cams etc.

I unfortunately didn't discover it was the pump until after I'd done the head gasket. But it was obvious, once I got the head off, that the gasket hadn't been leaking. And no, there was no noticible dripping from the weep hole for a long while after I'd changed the gasket. But the steaming and residue kept on until I changed the pump.

If it were me, and the bike was running fine, I would leave it be until I was certain what was wrong. 20/20 hindsight if you will.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think that is where im at. this morning when I checked the torque on the headbolts I tightened the front lower one a couple pounds over specs. It appeared like it was leaking from there last night and the front exhaust shield had stains. Now it isnt steaming or leaking.. i just replaced the original pressure cap.the fan switch kicks in but doesnt cycle on and off as much as my 1100s. Im wondering if the 1200s run that much hotter than the 1100s. I dont have the fairing back on it yet so I cant monitor the temp gauge but it seems to run longer. EDIT I never thought about it being hot outside.I have it in my garage on the table with the doors open and my exhaust fans goin and the swamp cooler goin. I placed a regular house fan a few feet in front of it and and it appears to be cycling better. I think its time to put the fairing back on. JB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.