Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

I just finished hard wiring the stator plug on my 1200 and cleaned the starter solenoid and some other electrical connections.

Started my bike up and let it run for about 45 min or so, when I held the throttle at 1500-2000 in neutral she ran smooth but up around 2700 RPM I noticed a vibration in the handlebars.

Is this normal for a flat four with no load on it in neutral?

Thanks for your input on this.

Mike

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Could be.. Is it subtle or teeth rattling? What does she do at the RPM under load?

Any funky noises coming from the engine?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The 1200's can feel harsh at those revs, I balanced my carbs several times with no effect. I've read road tests that mentioned it on the bikes when brand new. It just seems to be a characteristic- though some are more noticable than others.

I used to just give it a bit more revs to keep it out of this zone.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

You are just learning your babies quirks, some you can correct but like in marriages some you have to live with or trade up for a newer model with more problems.

My 1100 used to rattle at all rpms, but a fellow memebr road her for a few and said there was nothing wrong on the other hand he really like my suspension and I like his bikes handling but not suspension.
I am sure someone else will say the bike is fine unless it is a vibration that wants to kick the bike off the center stand, then you should look further into it.
Quick question.What oil are you using and what are your conditions where you live??

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Road test it for vibrations. Most engines vibrated to some extend, little or a lot. Revving a engine with no load is not the recommended way. 2700rpm is not that serious. If it vibrates under a load a lot then you have a problem.:waving:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Guys Thanks for your comments!

GSarducci, the vibration felt in the handlebars is subtle.

Steve worth, I also read when these bikes were new the 1200 under heavy load or trailing throttle the engine issues a peculiar mechanical grating type of vibration.

It added Longtime GoldWing enthusiasts will recognize this GL idiosyncrasy, and riders new to the Wing will learn to ignore it.

Muaymendez1, Im not sure what oil is in this engine whatever the Honda shop the P/O had it serviced last April put in it, I have a gallon of Castrol 10w40 for it but I may use the Shell Rotella 15w40. The conditions here are very coldin the winter and extremely hot in the summer months.

AVA AUTO TECH, As soon as it warms up and I get this bike plated and insured I will road test it. I rode this bike the day I bought it but it was extremely cold out and very windy that day but it seemed to run quite well.

Im hoping this is just a normal quirk that I can learn to ignore, the engine only has 33k on it so I doubt if it's anything major.

Thanks again for your help guy's

Mike

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
imported post

Mike,

After you use up that Shell Rotella, consider the Chevron Delo 400 oil instead.

A lot of conjecture both ways, but more leaning towards the Delo 400 oil for quieter shifting and clutch action.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

Good Morning Mike,

Greetings from Northern IN.

My 87 aspy has vibrations at different rpms,it is something that I've experienced on most 1200s that I've ridden.
The ones I feel I have never felt concerned about,they are just the bike telling me to change gears or pull on the the throtttle.

Once you get it on the road and get a feel for its nuances you'll understand .

Good luck and maybe when it warms up I'll see you on the road.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I ownder if the vibration you speak of is a hesitation. i was just warming my bike checking that all is good. I know that the carbs need another cleaning and so the vibration( hesitation i get ) is around the 2700 rpm range after that it clears up. I have come to believe that this means that some of my low speed ports and jets are not completely clean.

Does anyone know at what rpm the high speed jets are primary

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

AZgl1500, What weight in the Delo would you recommend?

g-townram, Thanks for your comments I will be making numerous trip to my hometown of Portage In this summer so we may cross paths!

muaymendez1, I don't think it's a hesitation, I checked the gl1200goldwing forums as well and it seems to be a common occurrence so Im just going to have to live with it Lol.

Thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
imported post

G1200WING wrote:
AZgl1500, What weight in the Delo would you recommend?

Mike
That would depend on your environment. Most places though, 10w40 will do nicely.

Even here in Arizona where it can get really hot, the 10w50 isn't really needed.

I used 10w40 and everything seemed to be just fine.

If you are "way up north", maybe 10w30? but if it is that cold, I doubt you will be riding much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.