Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to the Goldwing world and was curious about the difference in power between the 1200 and 1500. I know we`re comparing four cylinders vs. six cylinders. I have read a lot of posts about stator problems with the 1200, and I am more inclined towards the GL1500 at this point, however there are a lot of GL1200`s out there for a very decent price. I guess I could always install the poor boy alternator system on a 1200 and not have to worry about it again. Any and all feed back will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I liked both of mine for different reasons. The 1200 was more nimble in slow speed turns, felt lighter, etc. The 1500 has more giddyup and more room for me and my wife (most of my miles are this way). Personally, I liked the body style of the 1500 over the 1200. If Ihadnt found such a nice low mileage 1500, I may still be riding the 1200. The 1500's are getting fairly reasonable. I found a nice '88 local for $4800. I never ran into electrical issues with the 1200 (seems to be the more common issues, stator, 3-yellow wires, etc.), but I only had it for about 3 months or so. You'll get a lot of opinions both ways for sure, both are good bikes.

My final word I guess: If you ride a lot of 2-up, save for the 1500...

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,745 Posts
imported post

I also owned a 1200 and traded it for a 1500.

I immediately missed the gear indicator on the dash. But, you learn to count clicks and later you automatically note the RPMs and don't think about that anymore.

I really liked the smoothness of the 1500. The 1200's 4 cylinders are rough at idle and lower RPMs, say under 2500.

I missed the sudden, snappy zip of the 1200's "go right now" attitude. The 1500 has plenty of power, and will get there in a hurry too, but the 1200 has more instant acceleration.

I did not miss the 1200's saddle. The 1500's saddle, heavier weight, and the highway pegs plus the backrest made it feel like a Cadillac to me. with the cruise on, I could easily "take a nap" on the 1500. Uh, my Auto-Pilot isn't installed yet though :D

Both are very good bikes. But, if I were in your shoes right now, and did not want to be doing regular maintenance on your bike, I would choose a 1500. the 1200 required more maintenance than my 1500. for me, that was the deal maker, as I have quit doing my own work. So, the 1500 is cheaper for me to own now.

for those not in the know, I can't buy a bike right now until I get permission from mr. legal beagle. I have a disagreement with the operator of a certain semi-trailer rig in the works.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

I have had both...my first wing was an'851200 LTD. It was big and bulky at first. Then it became slim and nimble over time in the saddle. I liked the gear indicator also, but coming from a non-indicator bike it was no big deal...I counted gears in my head and had a special way of downshifting. That comes in handy with the 1500.

The 1200 was great up to about 100miles and then I felt I needed to stop for a butt break. The pep was pretty good...but mine was fuel injected so it had more pep than a carb'd 1200. I put almost 20k on her in just a tad over 2yrs and loved every mile.

The 1500 has better low end torque, smoother engine at speeds and idle, better (wider) seat for both riders, and is just a nimble as my 1200. I can ride all day on my 1500 and not be butt tired.

If you can find a 1500 in your price range...buy it. The 1200 is a great bike and I loved mine (and really do miss her), but the 1500 is just a little better for 2up riding and all day touring. Plus the low end torque requires less downshifting. 35mph in 5th gear is not a problem for the 1500. Try that on the 1200 and the engine will lug on you in a heartbeat.

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.:action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I haven't had the chance to try a 1500 but I know that my 1200 does everything I've asked of her.

Get up and go is great and will surprise alot of people at the light.

When we get the time and money to travel, it will carry the wife and myself plus the load she packs... :shock:

We've had her on the interstate many times matching the flow of traffic speed all day long! That is with her having 120,000 miles on her. 40 mpg just about all the time.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

The LTD and Sei 1200 models will outrun any GL1500, but the 1500 handles better and will outrun any carbed gl1200.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Love my 1200, haven't had a chance to ride a 1500 yet but maybe someday. From what I hear the 1500 is a little longer giving more saddle room, riding 2 up on the 1200 I find myself a little cramped but still comfortable, wife loves the ride, may need to move the trunk back a notch, for extra room. Either way you will get a good bike that you will love. Ride safe :action::action:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post. I think now after reading the answers I received I`ll save a little longer and get a 1500. I have looked at a lot of new 1800`s and granted I know next to nothing about wings, they don`t look all that much different than the later 1500`s.
Thanks again and let me say this has to be the best forum I have ever joined. Many years ago I saw a bumper sticker that read, "You Meet the Nicest People on a Goldwing". Looks like that statement was true.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum by the way. Getcha a bowl of popcorn and hang out a while. :waving:

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
imported post

i i cuold only have one wing then my 1200 would have to go. i like the fact that my 1500 doesn't need to be reved much to go, there are more aftermarket parts for it than the 1200, you dont need a poorboy kit for the stator,the trunk and bage are larger, and the 1500 because of its extra legnht fits me better. too bad it couldn't be 50 pounds lighter but comprimises have to be made

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
da_bull wrote:
If that post is legit, you should do what you need to do, to deal with the guy. Seems a little questionable to me, but that's me.
I would be hesitant also mike. I would want to go see and ride the bike. Not to put the seller down here, but I just paid $13,000 CDN for a 2000 Aspy in Red (That is the going price in the great white north) and there are a lot of scams that seem to involve Goldwings these days. Maybe someone lives nearby and could review that bike, If he'd have posted it a month ago I would have been taking a drive down there myself.

Now on to the original question.

I have owned both bikes, and they both have their own good and not so good points. Best thing would be to decide how much you want to spend first and then try to ride both bikes and see which one fits you better. Don't just go around the block for a ride either since Goldwings aren't around-the-block bikes. Find someone that will let you take the bike for a decent ride for about an hour on different types of roads.
I loved riding both my 1200 and 1500 but they are different bikes and you must choose what fits you best.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

And I have to throw in with that. I have owned both, and they are indeed, very different bikes. Love the 1200 for around town and it's smaller bike feel. Never dropped any of my 1200's.

Love the 1500 for the highway traveling. The extra power, torque, and comfort are great. Dropped my 1500, more times than I care to count. The 1500 is more top heavy and once you reach that tipping angle, you best get your feet out of the way and let it lay down. All my drops have been while coming to a stop, so nothing was hurt but my pride.......and my foot, the one time I didn't get it out of the way in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.