Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I cant find any recommendations whether or not to put gasket compound on the gasket for the water pump. Any recommendations on what i should use?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

I just finished putting new timing belts and when I put radiator back on I just ran a thin film of black RTV over the new o ring on the cover

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

by water pump cover, I assume you are talking about the large ring paper gasket. the OEM installation is dry.. but then the surfaces are also straight and new. I used a light coat of the spray-on gasket lacquer on the cover side and left it dry on the engine side.. it works fine.. I have also heard of members putting light coats of other sealers, however, do not use too much sealant(particularly the silicone) as it will glob up in the inside with the possibility of coming loose and clogging the oil screen... good luck.. Jim

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys for all of the help. I wasnt sure if I should put a light coat on the gasket or if I should assemble it dry. This is surely one of those things i want to be right the first time.I definitely have the best help in the world here! Craig I was looking at the paper gasket ,but yours also sounds like a good idea for the long run. The PO wedged an oversize O ring in the lower hose mount and i got a big surprise when i took it off.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I used vaseline to hold the O rings in place and a coating of grease on both sides of the gasket.
I have been told by a diesel mechanic to use crisco shortening for the O rings to keep them in place.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Tricky, the PO used white grease on all of the O rings including the oil filter. His attitude must have been if a little is good a lot is better. I ve also had others tell me Vaseline but some have told me also to try Mobil1 synthetic grease . Its supposed to be good especially for this type of application . I definitely want to get this one right the 1st time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use a very thin wipe of Permatex #2 or Permatex Aviation gasket sealer on the cover edges, and stick the gasket to the cover. A very thin coat on the other side of the gasket once it's stuck to the cover and it's ready to install. It's important to use a very thin coat to avoid a mess and make it easier to clean off in the future. #2 Permatex is the non hardening type. Cleaning up Permatex from fingers or tools is accomplished with alcohol. Rubbing alcohol won't do it, you need alcohol like stove fuel or the stuff in the paint department of hardware stores. I've never liked RTV on gaskets because it tends to allow thinner gaskets to creep as you torque the joint.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Exavid you have a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.