Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need some help PLEASE...

Iam going to need to replace the windshield on a "86" Goldwing Interstate.

Iwill be on a road trip and will have to do this in a parking lot. I have never done this before so ANY help as far as "How To" and step by step would be most useful. Also tools needed and time allowed? Thank you sooooo much.

jack

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

Do you have a Gl1200 manual???
This procedure is done with the aid of an assistant Especialy when installing a new windshield...

1 Rotate the rear view mirrors 90deg... remove the bolts wt Philips screwdriver...
2Place a clean shop cloth into the slot between the windshield trim panel and the top of the headlight unit.
# insert a broad-tipped screwdriver into the shop cloth and LIFT up on the screwdriver and unhook the latch from the holder on the front fairing. Remove the windshield trim panel
4Remove the 2 center bolts and metal collars. the nuts for these 2 bolts are Tinnerman clip type and are captured in the Fairing...
5 loosen, but do not remove, the outer bolt on each side. These bolts go through slotted holes in the windshield and the cushion and therfor do not have to be removed...
6 Pull the windsheld setting plate forward and withdraw the windshield and cushion up and out from between the plate and the front fairing...
7 Install in reversing these steps
8 done

These instructions are located on pages 368 to 370 with Pictures...Of the GL1200 manual...

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

some mirrors wont rotate as have a different mechanism like mine, i believe the only mirrors tha trotate are the one that came with the 84.

anyway for the mriror, pull the rubber boot and you will see the two long philip bolts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Just a little tip, putting the mirror bolts back in can be a real pain to get them lined up correctly, be careful not to cross thread them. For tightening them and removal i ground down a 10mm socket to make it very thin walled. But be sure to only use a screwdriver untill you are sure they are not cross threaded.

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

You only have to remove one screw from each side of the mirrors. You just need to free up the trim piece over the windshield. I do recommend you remove all four screws holding the windshield on, though. It's easier than trying to slide the new one into place.

Why do you want to do this in a parking lot? What will you do with the existing shield?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.