Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, all you old & young Wingers out there I need to access your memory!

I remember going to a bike meet many moons ago & there was a vendor (or person)there putting cuts or slices in the bottom of the old Wing seats to soften them (at least I think that what the cuts were for).

Problem is: I didn't own a Wing back then so I really didn't pay much attention to what was being done.

Well, I need to spend about 40 hours (in a short time) in the saddle of my 1200 in the next couple of weeks & that seat just isn't that comfortable to my old behind for extended use. I usually take my Harley dresser for those longer trips but need to use my commuter Wing this time.

Does anyone remember what was being done with those cuts? Any chance any of you Wingers have had (or done ityourself) the seat modified with those cuts. If so how much comfort did the processadd.

Thanks... Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
imported post

I had a '78 GL1000 from '81 thru '87 with a stock seat, but I don't remember anything like that.
The saddle on my '85 1200A is much more "user friendly".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

Either buya "Sheepskin" cover or a "AirHawk" pad, niether one is cheap but worth it !:clapper:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Either buya "Sheepskin" cover or a "AirHawk" pad, niether one is cheap but worth it !:clapper:
My brother swears by his sheepskin cover, I have an Air Ride bladder inside the seat that helps.

:doh:On long rides with a sore rear I've discovered one of the drawbacks of the fairing and windshield. When you standup on the pegs to ease the arse, the wind blast goes up your nostrils!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have a sheepskin but it's not a custom fit. The sheepskin does help a little but is kind of a pain to use.

I would really like to help my stock seat a little & have it still look stock.

I just remembered that seat cutting thing & thought someone else have seen it & paid more attention to the process than I did.

If I can't do anything easily I will probably pull the seat apart this coming winter & install a gel pad.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
86 Posts
imported post

Twisty,



Take your stock seat down to a local upholstery shop and have them remove the cover and add / replacewith new foam material. They can use a better firmer grade of foam which will support the buttocks better. My stock seat was too soft from breaking down and we were sitting on the seat base because the foam was worn out. It has made all the difference and kept the seat looking original. It is much cheaper than a custom seat and works just as well.



Mark Gaeth

Decatur, IN
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

Pete,
Are you thinking of the Gel inserts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

markgaeth wrote:
Twisty,



Take your stock seat down to a local upholstery shop and have them remove the cover and add / replacewith new foam material. They can use a better firmer grade of foam which will support the buttocks better. My stock seat was too soft from breaking down and we were sitting on the seat base because the foam was worn out. It has made all the difference and kept the seat looking original. It is much cheaper than a custom seat and works just as well.
Mark, I don't have time before I need to use the bike (last minute change of plan). I'm going to install a gel pad as soon as I quit using the bike for the winter (I ride every day all weather except snow).

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
760 Posts
imported post

I have rebuilt serveral of these seats. If you have a good electric carving knife you can cut and shape the foam like butter. I don't think you will like just sliceing the foam I have tried that and it just seemed to accelerate breakdown of the seat. You can buy gel material cheaper at Medical supply stores.They sell a big pad for wheel chairs and you can cut a custom shape out of it. I get the most comfort out of a backrest and forward pegs to raise my butt up occasionally.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

Can the wheelchair gel just be laid on the seat temporarily for a trip?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
I usually take my Harley dresser for those longer trips but need to use my commuter Wing this time.

Thanks... Twisty
glad to see that I am not the only heretic that thinks HD"s are great fro long trips :clapper:

I have never heard of "cutting" seats, but I do agree that the 1200 stock seat is as horrible as the 1000 stock seat. they treid to make it "softer" an just gave you a seat that sank to the pan.

rodger
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Can the wheelchair gel just be laid on the seat temporarily for a trip?
Brojees, yes, but I would probably just use my sheepskin if I'm going to lay something on top of the seat. I just hate laying something on top as it moves around as I slide around on the seat.

I guess nobody has heard of cutting the seat bottom (maybe it was a local thing) so I probably won't try that.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

Hmmm...... Then I might test that. I have a Road Sofa, but not with gel. I am interested in the idea of the gel because after 8 hours, even the road sofas begin to wear on you.



I know laying back into the backrest and mounting the pegs does give you a break. I can then put my arms up on the rear armrests and really relax. Hmmm... need to see about an alarm clock to wake mke at my destination.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

travelinmays wrote:
I have rebuilt serveral of these seats. If you have a good electric carving knife you can cut and shape the foam like butter. I don't think you will like just sliceing the foam I have tried that and it just seemed to accelerate breakdown of the seat. You can buy gel material cheaper at Medical supply stores.They sell a big pad for wheel chairs and you can cut a custom shape out of it. I get the most comfort out of a backrest and forward pegs to raise my butt up occasionally.
I'll have to get soem advise on doing that from you. my wife has always hated the stock seat on her 1200... and I have had too much scottish blood to replace it

rodger
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

I know it's not in time for your trip, buta Corbin seat is the way to go. I spent 23 hours in the saddle a few weekends ago (16 hours on Sunday) and I was just fine.

A lot of people are put off by the firmness of the Corbins, but in the long run that's what makes them so comfortable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I know it's not in time for your trip, buta Corbin seat is the way to go. I spent 23 hours in the saddle a few weekends ago (16 hours on Sunday) and I was just fine.

A lot of people are put off by the firmness of the Corbins, but in the long run that's what makes them so comfortable.
axelwik , I ride this 1200 Wing pretty well almost every day (about 2500+ mi per month) as it is my main commuter bike. The seat really hasn't been a problem as I'm not sitting on it for that long at a time. It does start to bother me after an hour or so though.

There is a bike seat customizer near my home that will put a gel insert in it & change the rear slightly but that requires time. I just use this bike too much to be without a seat for that long.

I was hoping to make a quick re-work & be on my way but that doesn't look feasible now.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
760 Posts
imported post

If you can pick up a gel pad. You can put it under a sheep skin and bungy strap it in place so that it doesn't slide around. That is about as quick a fix as I can come up with.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

travelinmays wrote:
If you can pick up a gel pad. You can put it under a sheep skin and bungy strap it in place so that it doesn't slide around. That is about as quick a fix as I can come up with.
travelinmays, that's how I hold the furry part of a sheep on there now but it don't work all that great. It still flops around at high speeds & slides around when I get up to stretch. Then there's the "what to do with it when I get off the bike" - my bags & trunk will be full already..

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
623 Posts
imported post

Twisty, This won't help your current dilema but, I have a spare stock seat off my 84. The foam is junk and the cover is ripped, but the seat pan is ok. It's yours for the price of shipping if you would like. Drop me a line.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top