Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1200 won't start

2K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
Last fall the wing would not start. It does nothing when you push the button. If I remember right, and I could be wrong, I think it was in gear and I pulled the clutch in, it jumped forward a bit but did not start. Then it wouldn't do anything. I didn't mess with it again until now.

I have 12.6v at the battery. The fuse at the selonoid is good. I pulled the clutch switch off and put a jumper across the wires. Still nothing.

Any ideas where to start. Thanks.

#2 ·
I just cleaned clutch switch. It has good continuity. Check all fuses in fuse block. All good. Horn works as does my driving lights. My low beam has been burnt out for awhile. High beam is not working at the moment. I don't think that's related.

Kill switch is on.

#4 ·
Yes I did.

This battery has been on a tender all winter. The green light has been on saying all is good.

I tried starting this let's say 20, I hit the button. I checked the voltage at the fuse block. it read 10.7v. I pulled battery out of bike. It read 10.7v.

I have another battery. Checked it. 12.65v and been sitting inside all winter. Put it in with same results. I only tried it a few times. I checked voltage again and it was 12.2v.

Any ideas. Thanks.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did know I had any.

Before I read this reply I tried jumping the solenoid and the starter moved but the battery was too weak to turn it over very much at all. But it did move.

I'm not good at electrical. Are you saying put my positive probe in the yellow/red, and the neg in the green/red at the same time? I did it that way and each of those wires used as pos, and the neg to the battery and I had no power.

If the solenoid was bad would it turn the starter when I jumped it?

#8 ·
If the battery is weak it might not have enough power to engage the solenoid.
No, Put the negative clip on the probe to the battery negative, touch the probe to the yellow/red and push the button, it should have power. If it does then touch the probe to the green/red and push the button, if it has power then something is wrong in the ground circuit, if it doesn't light then the solenoid is not working. To further test the ground circuit put the clip on the battery positive and the probe to the green/red, no need to push the button, it should light.

#10 ·
For the record I was using a volt meter.

I had no voltage. So I think it's the solenoid, right?
Nope, the yellow/red carries power from the start button to the solenoid. If you put your meter on DC volts you should see 12 volts with the red meter probe on yellow/red and the black meter probe on a good ground. You have to be holding the start button in. :)

#13 · (Edited)
It could be the switch. It could be bad yel/red wire between the switch and the solenoid or an issue with the black wire that feeds power to the switch,

Go up by the start button and find the black wire. It should have 12 volts going in to the start switch with the key on. Also find the yel/red wire and see if it has power coming out of the switch.

If you have no power coming in look for a problem related to the black wire. The black wire runs from the starter switch to the ignition switch

If you have power going in but nothing coming out the yel/red with the button pushed the switch is bad. Might need disassembly and cleaning.

If it has power coming out the yel/red wire and not making it to the solenoid (as you said) the yel/red wire has an issue.:)

#16 ·
Before you jump to that conclusion see if there is power at the black wire of the reg/rec. If there is power there the issue is not the ignition switch but could be wiring between the reg/rec and start switch. Most common around steering stem and handlebars from my experience.

However if there is no power at the reg/rec go check the black wire that comes from the ignition switch. If there is no power coming out the ignition switch it is likely the culprit. However if power is coming out of the ignition but not making it to the reg/rec you have an issue between those two points. Make sure none of the black wires have stripes. Lot of black wires in the area. ;)

#18 ·
It has good continuity. Check all fuses in fuse block. All good. Horn works as does my driving lights. My low beam has been burnt out for awhile. High beam is not working at the moment. I don't think that's related.

Before these latest replies I did put a fresh battery in it (used the old one in my riding mower and it started it) and jumped the solenoid. It cranked good but would not start.

#26 ·
I can't remember. Is the electrical part of the ignition switch hard to get. I know the key part is. I had found a nos bottom part thinking it was hard to get, and all ready ordered it before I found the issue. So I can return it or keep it. I wouldn't mind keeping it if it's hard to get.

#28 ·
Why not try to lubricate the switch part?
this stuff is great for that purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.