Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently bought a 1200Aspencade from Seattle( Miles)and I live in Vancouver BC (Kilometers)

Every time I start up I have to push the miles/K/m to get display in K/Ms as it is defaulted to miles (US Bike)

any one know if I can switch it so it defaults to K/m's????

minor but irritating problem

Thanks Neil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Boy it would be lovely if you could get it to default to km, however I don't think you can.

Would someone please PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong and let us know how.

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's what you guys get for falling for that French plot!:tongue:

The metric system is dangerous, makes your bike go too fast.:whip:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

LOL yea. I mean, it's bad enough when my car does not like being referred to as a 3.0 liter........

my old car (way back when) loved being called a 396 c.i.d.

:weightlifter:

O well, buying a vehicle in the U.S. ain't what it used to be, huh ?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Sorry Neil it can't be done. The display LCD is a different pat number for Canadian models so the only way out is a used Canadian or European dash.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Be glad you only have to push a button instead of trying to read the little numbers all the time! :skipping:

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Be glad you only have to push a button instead of trying to read the little numbers all the time! :skipping:
It's a pain to multiply all the speed limit signs by 0.6 all the time, pushing a button isn't all that bad.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I thought I would wire in a momentary relay that when the bike is turned on the relay shorts the miles - K/M button for about 5 sec????????

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
I thought I would wire in a momentary relay that when the bike is turned on the relay shorts the miles - K/M button for about 5 sec????????
You might try connecting a 100uF or larger capacitor across the switch, you'd get a momentary current through it as it charged and once it was charged it'd be an open circuit for all practical purposes. If it worked it would be a lot simpler and have no moving parts. The only question would be how long it took to discharge through itself. If it didn't discharge it wouldn't work the second time you started up. A 25K resistor or some such value wired across the capacitor should discharge it in a reasonable amount of time and be high enough resistance to prevent the effect of having the button pushed all the time. I'd try a potentiometer across a capacitor and then adjust it until the discharge time was sufficiently short with enough resistance to avoid looking like a closed circuit to the speedo input. It'd be worth an experiment, and shouldn't be able to damage anything.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Would it not just continuousy repeat the charge discharge cycle in effect pushing the button every charge time????????

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, I don't think so, when you first start the bike it would take a full charge which would simulate a closed switch.When the initial current flows into a cap it represents a very low impedance,for a short time effectively a short circuit.The requirement would be a capacitor large enough so that the current flow during the charge was long enough to register as a ground to the input of the instrument cluster.Once the engine is running even though the voltage would vary a couple volts or so the capacitor should stay charged enough that it wouldn't trip the KM/M function. Once the engine is running if you pushed the switch it would discharge the capacitor while putting a ground on the line, when the switch opened the capacitor would recharge so the result to the instrument would be a slightly longer pulse which should still change the KM back to Miles.

I don't know if the idea would work or not, if I still had my 1200 I'd experiment to find out. Perhaps someone here can poke holes in the idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.