Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a new thread but I really am reluctant to look thru 1000+ posts to find what I want as I am sure its there. I just bought an 85 Aspencade that hasn't seen pavement for 12+ years and is in dodgy condition. As I go over the bike I see that the rear rotor has serious wear as if the rear caliper has been sticky or ceased - haven't got that far in disassembly yet. In prep for replacement my I asked Honda dealer and they want $500 for a replacemet. Serious ouch! I have found used ones on E-bay but am reluctant. Brakes and rubber are nto to be messed with. Does anyone know for sure what the metal is in the rotors. I have run a machine shop most of my life and can water jet new rotors if I know what the metal is. Also what is the new thickness of the rorors and what is the throw away thickness?
Cheers
Doc Spratley
White Rock
BC

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Hey Doc
Not sure of the material.
Thickness is 7mm new, 6mm out of service.
EBC makes replacement rotors. @$200 for the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Stu beat me to it, I was gonna suggest the EBC. As far as material, I'm pretty sure they gotta be forged and/or heat treated... you're better off with used rotors than trying to replicate that mess, especially if you get it wrong.

Besides, as long as the used one has a good surface, you should be ok :?. I went used and haven't had any issues...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have looked at EBC and as a last resort will go with them. My research, since I posted the thread, is that they are made from a 400 series Stainless Steel (410, 420, 440) which has good anti corrosion properties and heat conductivity. Laser or water jet cutting it out of flat plate is inexpensive and there are machines that will produce a precise drawing to within .001 of a mm from the original rotor. My thought is that someone is re-producing the rotors for EBC so why can't I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.