Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do I need to do a poorboy in order to use heated clothing. I have my one 87 that still has the original stator, and I'm thinking that it won't be powerful enough to handle heated clothing, any opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

How much heated clothing are you talking? If you are talking a vest or jacket liner and are not planning to run it on high in city traffic then you would probably get away with it. Anything else I would want a poor boy conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

my aspy with a stator wouldn't handle heated clothing for more than a few minutes at a time and the gerber jcacket liner and gloves were only 9 amps

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

9 amps at 12 volts is about 108 watts. Course you would be running closer to 14 going down the road to make the watts a little higher. I would assume that 9 amps is at full on. If you used something along the lines of a heat troller controller you could probably cut those in half. The controllers I think pulse and may use a little less. So if you figure 14 volts at say 4 amps that would be about 56 watts. You could probably get away with that assuming you don't have a lot of other lights on the bike. Anything much more than 60 or 70 watts will probably start to tap into the battery's reserve. Meaning you will be using more power than the stator can supply. If I recall right, the stator on the 1200 provides about 260 watts. Doesn't take much to use that up.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

I converted my 84 aspy to the external alt, it was not that hard to do and I now enjoy the fact that I have all the voltage I need .

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Last year a few riders in our group (GL1500, 1800, 1200 owners) bought heated jackets, vests etc. Both 1200s broke down, the batteries just went flat from the heated clothing. None of the 1800 or 1500 Wings broke down.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

The stator is only going to be giving you a maximum of 28 amps at full rpm and nothing at idle (sitting at a light ect.) Now deduct from that the 55 watt headlight, the 196 watts for all four tail lights with the brakes on, the 110 driving lights that most of us have, all the other bulbs around and in the bike, the radio and amplifier, the CB, and of course the essential ignition system, and I am amazed that the bike has enough power to do what it is supposed to do already.

After the alternator upgrade you can have more than double this power at idle.

PS. installing LED daytime driving lights, and four LED tail lights will make a big difference to the power available too.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

As far as I know, all the 1200 stators put out 350 watts, except for the LTD/SEI. They put out 500 watts, which at 12V is about 32 amps. I am having charging system issues because of all this power. My bike does not have any electrical extras, even the factory installed LTD options have been removed, so all it's running is the lights, ignition, and fuel injection. That leaves a lot left over, and is causing my regulator to seriously overheat (yes I'm aware there may be a problem with the regulator) but when I hooked up 200 watts worth of off road lights to the battery, the regulator temperature dropped considerably. I'm seriously considering installing a couple hundred watts worth of lights, just to use up the excess power, and help cool the regulator.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Figured I was going to be stuck doing a poorboy on this 1200, and now you guys pretty much convinced me. Maybe I'll let the heated clothing go and do the poorboy this winter when things slow down. Right now I have a lot on my plate. The one good thing is that I did a poorboy while broke down in Florida, so at least I've done one before.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i would not even think of running electric clothing on a 1200 or a 1100. the alternators do not produce enough juice. my 2 cents worth. walkabout :shock:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.