Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I had lost the USB cable for my MP3 player and that was the only way I could charge it, so I not been using it for a month or so :sadguy:
Also the 12V adapter for my cell phone had died so on bike I had to use USB cable to charge it.

Well in looking for some stuff at BIG LOTS I found a USB adapter cable, USB plug in on one end and 6 connectors on the other end. Fits my MP3 player and cell phone so I can charge both at same time on the one cable. So there is 4 USB sizes, a round pin, and what looks like maybe IPOD type ends to be used. It says you can charge 6 devices at same time. Cost was only $6 in the clearance bin and I think on the rack with computer stuff it is $8.
Don't know why the one I got was $2 less, never been opened and still lots on the rack so not discontinued.

Big Lots usually also has the plain 3 plug 12V units for $5 which have a nice long cable on them to make wiring on the bike easy, and they sometimes have the 3 oultlet with 1 built in USB port for maybe $8.

They also had the Round 12V plug in with just 1 USB connection adapter for $5 or $6 and I almost bought one.
I found a better deal though, at a Dollar Tree store (everything $1) I found a 12V to USB plug in adapter with 2 USB ports for of course $1. I bought 2 of those.
I used one on way home and it works well, has a little red LED to show it's got power.

This couple new items will work better than what I was using.
I had found on clearance at Radio Shack a battery charger with 2 AA batteries for $10.
It plugs into the house outlet, has a 12V plug adapter, also can power it by USB cable.
It charges 2 AAA or AA batteries and also has a USB out for charging USB devices.
I had been charging the cell phone and MP3 1 at a time with my camera batteries till I lost the MP3 cable which of course was an odd size I only had 1 of.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

charger I also use

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

This is the 3 outlet unit I use.
It's been on the 95 now about 5 months and in lots of rain both riding and sitting when I been out on the road. It is just now starting to get a bit of corrosion in the sockets, the ground (round hole) is separated from the power strip inside which is like a flat bar running side to side the plugs contact. I'll clean the plug holes and maybe a thin coat of pledge or light oil.
It cost either $10 or $13 at Wall-mart and it has a switch for each outlet on the back and a blue light on top so you know which are on. It did have a nice 12V plug on the wire to use this as an extention off another 12V outlet but I cut off the plug.

I wired mine direct to the battery with an inline fuse, this way I can charge low power stuff like camera batteries, phone, MP3 player, etc... for a couple hours if needed with the bike off and the key out. I just lock the stuff in the pocket under the outlets.
I just stuck it on with the sticky tape it came with so I can remove it easy if I want with no holes anywhere.
I really like this one being always on if I want without the need for the key to be in the bike on ACC and being in easy fast reach is a plus also, no digging in the pocket to plug things in and the pocket is still empty for anything I may want to put in it.
I have used the 12V compressor on this outlet many times and never a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.