Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi

i am getting ready to instal a 12v power outlet on a 1100 gl and had seen one metions by Dusty Boots forms and could use more help on how to and wireing

picture by Dusty Boots

live to ride again

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure where to get the outlet but wiring is easy there is aux. connection in the fuse block you wire the hot side to. The other wire goes to ground.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there from the Ottawa valley lasers56, like mainwiz3 mentioned, it's pretty basic, run a wire from the + side of the fuse block with an in line fuse (15A) to one side of your switch, then from the other side of the switch to the 12V plug. Then from the other side of the plug to a good ground, Try to mount the plug in a spot where rain will not run down in to it, any automotive stores, Walmart. Zellers carry the parts.
If you are interested in upgrading your wiring system for safety & less future headaches here is how Rudy's wiring upgrade. :waving::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I have a cigarette mounted on my 82, It is mountedin the fairingjust under the left speaker (when sitting on the bike). One thing you need to remember when installing it is the positive wire goes to the center and thenegitive goes to the outer(housing) connection. Who ever installed the one on my bike wired it backword, The cigarette lighter worked but my phone charger would not work due to the reverse polarity.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

just be careful while loading stuff to the accesory terminal on the fuse block you may overload and melt the stock harness. the best and safer way to wire it. would be using a regular automotive relay. connected to the accesory terminal, and then connect the outlet directly to the battery thru the relay.

the relay has several connctions. the numbers you need to use:

86 to + accesory on the fuse block
85 to - accesory on the fuse block

30 to the center or + of the outlet.
87 using an inline fuse. to the + of the battery

the negative end or ground of the outlet, the proper way to install it would be running a wire directly to the - of the battery.. but if you are cheap just ground it to any bolt on the frame.

this way you can safety load the outlet with lets say a lighter or an air compressor. use a 15-20 amps fuse depending on what you gonna use it for.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i've seen people, not goldwing owners, changing the fuse to a bigger size so it wont melt when they plug their lighters :p

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hey thanks guys

lasers56

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.