Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 83 gl1100 of course came with a 140/90 16 which is rubbing the shaft and brake arm Found a gent locally that has new 140/80-16 for sale but never heard of the 80. Anyone know if this is okay for my bike, weight ratio and such? Don't know what the difference is between a 90 and 80

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

some one will come along withmore info the clymer book matches your tire but if no-one answers by morning i will check mine too make shure

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

140 = tread width measured in millimeters.

80 = aspect ratio measured as a percentage. The heighth of the tire is 80% of its width.

16 = rim diameter.

Ask what the load rating is for that tire and make sure it matches your bike closely or better.

This DK page breaks it all down.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ask him who the manufacturer is, then lookthe load ratingup on the manufacturer'swebsite. :?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

That tire will make the bike sit slightly lower and that won't help you. If you have rubbing issues with the correct size tire, you should find out why. You may have a dangerous situation developing.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Also check the date code on the tire before using it. Over 5 yrs stay away from as that is life service of the tires. Some might try older, but not a good idea.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

If memory serves me, Litfuse in Texas ran a 140/80/16 on his 82,I believe it was a Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45.:smiler:

Gene:action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.