Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,206 Posts
imported post

I can tell you for a fact, that here in Arizona, that cop would have been court martialed.

All high speed chases have been abandoned after a series of deadly encounters of the target with innocent drivers at intersections. The last deadly chase encounter was a man ran through a red light at 115 mph in a 40 mph zone. He t-boned a young university student, killing her and her six month old baby. The guy was drunk and survived.

Cops cannot exceed roughly 15 mph above the speed limit now even with lights and siren. Legally, that is. I still see them once in a great while, but almost never in a deadly situation.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I just want to know what is considered "dangerous" if that was "safe"!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Wow Great Ride!
I guess that's what drinking tea does to you
I don't think I've ever blasted above 125 in traffic

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

Personally, I applaud the officer's driving skill. He handled his vehicle in a safe and judicious manner when overtaking other vehicles. and made sure to hit the high speeds when it was clear to do so. He was even asked by someone on the radio if he felt he was safe.

However, I feel that the entire 15 minutes of video was not needed after the point had been made. He should have broken contact after getting positive ID. But that was not going to stop the crotch rocket from going any slower.

But in any case. Police Officers are damned if they do and damned if they don't and the decison that they have to make in a split second is going to be second guessed and arm chair quarterbacked for the rest of eternity.....

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Well i have, and I suspect silverfox and others have ridden that road many many time, it does not warrent those speeds in the dry let alone in the wet.

I think the copper followed for too long,

Sussex Police where last known to be using the Yamaha R1 as they high speed pursuit bike, both marked and unmarked...

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

reminds me of ghost rider

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Sorry but that was far too long, i know they have to get evidence but after a few minutes the guy threw away his licence, to carry on and put yourself and other in danger for nothing is ridiculous, they are taught to ride well and read the road, but it only takes one person to do a sudden lane change and thats it. Look at one of the videos that was on another thread here under white lining.

What really annoys me is when i am at work i see 6 police cars scream in at all directions because 2 girls are finger fighting, it does not matter what the emergency is they all race in, its not safe, surely they should have a level of responce suitable for the shout.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

when they passed the other bike head on...... I did not see any of them wave.......... HOW RUDE!!!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Ron Sena got it right,

The Police are Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Derek..

If half a dozen Police cars are 'racing 'to two girls 'finger fighting', then one would have to ask:-

What did the person phoning in say was happening? If they say it's two girls arguing they won't get a response, so we all know people 'gild the lily' and it is always 50 fighting or 'one of them has a knife' when in fact no-one does! Ask yourself this.. Do you really think half a dozen coppers want to deal with two screaming females? I doubt it somehow.

The bottom line is that you, nor I, know what they are responding to (unless you called them I suppose), they are the ones who get speeding tickets in Police cars and have to justify their speed when they do! Interesting that no-one has rained scorn upon the wreckless prat on the first bike? Even Motorcycle News don't condemn him. It's always the Police who are at fault for catching them.

Does anyone really think the cop would ride to the point of risking his own life just to video that idiot? I doubt it. Watch the video and his riding lines. Any Advanced motorist would tell you his lines into bends were the safest and noticeably different to the 'Offender'. He will have had 5 weeks or so Standard Bike Training and then another 5 weeks or so Advanced training, plus pursuit training. If they don't do it, who will? There would be Anarchy on the roads.

My Local Force are not allowed to follow bikes at all, and guess what, we now have an influx of scumbags who cross the County Border on unregistered Bikes, rob the Petrol Stations and make back across the border 'cos they know that the local Police cannot follow them. I say, Good on Sussex for not falling prey to the Risk Averse Society we live in.

Ask youself this, why does no-one moan and bitch about Ambulances and Fire Engines blatting everywhere on blues and twos? It's because they only deal with victims, that's why. Whereas, the Cops are fair game for a slagging off, normally because once upon a time, the person moaning (or someone they know) did something stupid they shouldn't have done and got caught!

If my wife and kids drove that road then I would buy that cop a drink for taking that menace to society off the road for two and a half years. It should have been for life.

I bet if he had been driving a car, then this forum would have been slaggin him off!

There, that's that off my chest, let the slagging begin!

Roy:p:p:p:p:p

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Hi Ron,

let me start by saying that i never slag anyone off, i accept that others will have their opinion, thats fine. I am a taxi driver, i see the police arrive all the time to various fights in the town during the weekend. The police are normally sent by the CCTV operatives, what i was trying to get over ron was that there are many times when a police car would suffice, instead half a dozen come from all directions endangering lives. The police say that speed kills, and most of these drivers are not advanced plice drivers.

The county cars who look after the roads stop and fine motorist for doing a few miles over the limit in areas which have no people in, they say you should never speed and if someone jumped out you would not be able to stop. They tell you about stopping times and reaction times, you cannot train anyone to drive at over 100mph in a built up area and get them to stop in time if someone stepped out, fact.

The police officer needed to get some evidence but 15 minutes of this lunatic in front riding was way too much and should have been stopped as soon as they hit the built up areas.

A copper does 160mph in a car up a motorway, it had not been fitted with police stuff it was brand new, he was caught but got away with it because he said he had to check what the car is capable of.

You only have to look at the way the guy was riding in front and the precise riding that the police officer was doing to show he had expertise, but fact he took a risk this is why the other officer said are you okay with this, he felt it may be unsafe, either way this was too long. We need to get rid of riders like that and i know the police do have to give chase, thats fine but it has to be at the correct level, thats all i was trying to say

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Well he should of been banned for life and the cop should of stopped the chase after the first time they hit 100mph . How neither of then crashed is amazing . But when the other cop asked me if i felt safe i would of said hell no . And if they had used marked bike's he would of killed himself trying to get awayjust to show he can out run the bill.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to see that I wasted my money on my bachelor's degree in law enforcement and the skills training afterwards. Also glad to see thatmy years of experience clearyhave been wasted. Clearly I did not need any training to know how to do my job :shock:.

I think next time the electrician or plumber is over to the house I will lean over his shoulder and make suggestions.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
imported post

And they did it on the wrong side of the road to boot :cheeky1:

Actually, I agree with the "need" for a 15 minute record of the guys crazy driving.

Too many get off with just a slap on the wrist because of insufficient evidence. The police really wanted/needed to nail his hide to the wall real good to get him off the roads.

I'm no saint, but I ain't crazy or willing to endanger others.

Just my not so humble opinion

Ivan

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

As stated before the police are in a no win situation, if they follow the bike then thats wrong, if they let the guy get away with it, its wrong. One thing for sure is the guy is now caught and off the road, thats good.

:cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

i've gone that fast at willow springs raceway on an rc-51 but never above 100

on the freeway. that was out on I-40 between ludlow and needles at 3 am.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

How things change!

I got nicked on that road about 40 years ago doing 65mph on my Triumph 500, and the copper gave me a real talking to.

The mind boggles at doing those speeds, apart from a few improvements like the Lamberhurst bypass it hasn't changed all that much, and a lot more traffic.

Still think it went on too long though.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I bet if he had only followed for a few minutes the rider would have been banned for no more than 6 mths. It must have been the length of the video and the continuous disregard for everyone else that swayed thecourts into such a lengthy ban.

I also bet that the amount of concentration needed to drive like that made the 15 minutes feel like 3 minutes to the Police Rider.

Derek, you are right, everyone has an opinion and most are like a**holes..............they stink! :D

But at least he is off the road now.

Regards to all

Roy (not Ron):waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

One driver on the road doing this is insane, but two, well. How about two wrongs don't make it rite. I think the copper was into it. No lights or siren, both should have a evauation.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Roy W wrote:
Derek, you are right, everyone has an opinion and most are like a**holes..............they stink! :D

But at least he is off the road now.

Regards to all

Roy (not Ron):waving::waving::waving:
I think we can all agree that getting a rider like that off the road is a good thing.

BUT, remember the words of Disraeli, "I may not agree with you, but I would defend to the death your right to disagree."

The truth is, none of us can know what the outcome would have been if it had been done differently.

If one or both of those riders was in a wooden box, this would be a very different discussion.

Whatever we think about the method, we should be grateful that police forces are willing to go the extra to keep the roads safer for saner drivers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.