Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 83 GL has a speedo that reads 150 MPH. The bike runs well and will get up to crusing speed (70-75 MPH) with little effort. I have only had this bike a couple of months and am still feelin it out. At 70 mph in overdiive, i have oppened the throttle and gotten up to 85 where the bike seems to flatten out at this speed. Just curious, what is the top speed of this bike?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've had my '83 up to 110 mph last Spring in New Mexico. Since then I've aproached 90 or so when passing, etc, have no doubt it'd top 100 anytime I want it to.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

The 83 has a pretty tall 5th gear. Sometimes top speed is reached in 4th instead...... I could just about redline my 83 in 4th. 110+ but never really got any more out of 5th unless it was downhill, tailwind etc. Mine could still do 110 when I sold it with 207.000 miles on it so if yours can only do 85 time for a complete go thru.;)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

Dont know about the 83, but something to consider. When I restored my 77 I had a similar problem. Couldnt get over about 70 and that was milking it to get it there. Turned out several of the carb slides were sticking, or at least that was part of the problem. After cleaning the slides and fixing a "broken" new needle jet in one of the carbs. I was able to pull over 100 in 2nd.

bob

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

You are from california...

(See, Redwing's constand prodding to add location is helping!)

Anyhow, as part of the CA smog conformance, there are some washers welded into the exhaust pipes, right at the engine. These restrict flow to give the bike a top speed of 85. Pull the pipes, knock out the washers, and hold on for dear life as the monster is released.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I asked this question before and got no reply....How do I know if I need to replace my exhaust gaskets?

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
I asked this question before and got no reply....How do I know if I need to replace my exhaust gaskets?

Jack
If they are leaking, making noise or showing discoloration around them, you need to change them!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Generally, the only time you need to replace them is if you take the pipes off.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Generally, the only time you need to replace them is if you take the pipes off.
More often than n ot even removing and refitting the pipes will allow you to reuse the old gaskets. You only need to replace them if they are l;eaking and this is easy to see/hear. If they aren't leaking then leave them alone.

About the original post, your 1100 could well be restricted if it's a California model. The 81s had an 85mph speedo and were restricted so they are easy to spot. They would top out at around 80-85, unrestricted models do at least 115 (thats the fastest I went onan 83 Interstatebefore the back end started wandering and I lost my bottle). If yours is restricted the it will have a washer welded about 1" down in at least one of the header pipes that you will need to tap out. It would be worth pulling th epipes and checking that out before doing anything else. I assume you already checked the colour of the plugs and that the air filter is clean.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:

Be sure to watch your spelling too, Redwing frowns :(on that also.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
You are from california...

Hey philcsand :waving: I have to keep after these guys, :clapper:soon we will all know where every member hides. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
philcsand wrote:

Be sure to watch your spelling too, Redwing frowns :(on that also.
Hey dean_3326 :waving: Dont worry for now about the spelling. :clapper: I have to get these guys into line and tell us where they hide. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

wht ar yu taking abut? Mi spellingh iz perfikt.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Of all the great advice, I will look at this first. The manual tells me that in order to remove the exhaust, I must remove the rear tire. Do you suppose I can get enough room to knock out washers without removing the rear tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.