Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took the alternator out of my 1500 and am not sure how to remove the old brushes. Does anyone have a step by step on how to with pictures?

Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

I know my 88 was a cinch to do. Not really complicated. I believe that if you had a shop manual you'd be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You really do need to follow along with a manual. Then this will make more sense.

Remove the 3 bolts along the side and separate the halfs

On the back cover half, remove the 5 nuts to separate.

Then you can see where the brushes are connected.

Another closeup.

New brushes next to old

Separate the cover plate, but do NOT disconnect the large copper wires to the stator.
I used a screwdriver handle to hold the brushes in place when soldering. You need to purchase a small electric soldering rod for best results.

You need the manual to make sure you allow enough length when placing the brushes. Then solder and cut flush. I use a straightened paper clip to hold the brushes in the holder. This clip can also go through a hold in the case already there, to keep things in place when you reassemble.

Those are the basic steps. It looks complicated, but it's really not. Just take your time and follow the book.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the quick replies. I got the manual and also printed the good photos posted. I am going to try and get to it tonight if possible.

Thanks again, Mark

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

For anyone else who might be contemplating this job. Here are the pictures in the shop manual as referenced.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Here is page 2.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Page 3

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Here is page 4

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

There is a page on bearing replacement and oil seal replacement that I skipped.

Here is final page.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.