Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning to all, busy last night, removed leaky air shock, leaky muffler, draining front forks, remove alternator. My question is about the alternator, when I removed the alternator, it appears that there is some grease or something oily and not alot inside housing where damper rubbers sits, is this housing area supposed to be completely dry or there is supposed to be some lubricant of some sort there? My rubber dampers are shiny, not dry, and I rub my finger inside coupler A (where dampers sit and my finger gets black oily residue).I removed alternator and have new set of rubber dampers, bushes and will get a new rear bearing #6000DU, one thing I never ordered because I never thought I needed it, was that o-ring that sits on the outside edge of the front large wheel(on alternator)that mates with the rubber dampers and couple A. Is this a right assumption to reuse o-ring, and this is a 91 se and no problems with alternator, 90,000kms so I was thinking from previous info, to only change rear bearing, they both seem fine right now and can easily turn by hand, just be proactive. After changing brushes and bearing, do I lube up the inside housing wheredampners sitwith something before reinserting alternator back to its home base? or do I need to replace an oil seal somewhere deeper, because of the very little amount of lubricant I seen in the main housing area(where dampers sit)? I need to oil the o-ring abit before reinserting alternator, but I am confused about the little bit of lubricant I seen sitting in the main housing for alternator? Thanks for your time and sorry about the extended explaination. JJ

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi JJ. Where the rubbers fit is the coupler. It should be dry. There is an oil seal behind it and it may be letting a small amount of oil through. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it's a pool of oil, I've seen this before and the little weep might not get any worse for years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks englishted, if I were to guess how much thick liquid was there, I would say there was up tomaybe 1 ml. and not more than that. There was never any hint of it leaking before alt. removal ie. leaking out the side of alt. area. I have been searching my service manual to understand where that seal could be (curious as a cat), and the only sealI can find orI seein my service manualis an oil seal on the front of the alternator, the reason for the oil seal there is to keep oil from getting to the alternator, I think? The oil seal there would be a precaution in case there was oil leaking into the alt.housing? Am I on the right track or did I have a mental derailment? I will wipe down the area and watch for weapage consistancy rate (new term for me by me), as it will be a few days before I get back to that area on the bike. Thanks for your time and wisdom as this is a new area on the wing for me.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

JJ, Ted is right. The small amount of oil isn't a problem. The seal is actually behind the coupler that the rubbers sit into and it stops oil seeping through the splines (the coupler sits on splines) and past the nut. I'd just refit it and not worry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.