Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone tried to use a car alternator on thier 1500. I have a compufire that kinda went belly up and I understand that the internal workings are tyhe same as the CS121 series alternators... So it would stand to reason that if I just swapped out the mounting portion of the car alternator with the compufire one it might work

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Seems like a good alternator repair shop should be able to fix your Compufire. Rotors anyway should be common to the car version. Have you tried to repair your Compufire?
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have my Compufire all a part and want to replace the brushes, regulator and bearings. I know I have found the parts on E Bay for about $40.00 and thats a really great price. I contacted Compufire and they advised me that all the parts I am looking for are they same as a CS-121 automotive alternator. The whole Compufire alternator is the same as the Alternator in a 1987 Buick Skyhawk. The body is 5 1/8" in size the only difference is the mounting plate and pully assembly the best I can figure out.
My worry is that if I replace all the internal workings and the windings are bad. Then I have wasted the 40 dollars and will need to buy a Compufire or factory alternator. And the one from Advance Auto is only $90.00 instead of $439.00

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oh and I did ask a shop to repair the Compufire for me and he wanted $200.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

[align=center]:waving:I'll fix it for $200... :waving:[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]My suggestion is that you read through this "how to" link, (page 4will help address your fears about "the windings are bad?" ) From there, the $40 ebay price won't be scary at all.

... or you could just replace what has failed (brushes in a new holder are ~$10 USD... the diodes are less...) The eBay kits don't address the Diode Trio (maybe $60 USD)

I had a call from "the GWRRA Goldbook" fora trike with charging issues. My approach was tohead down to the local autoparts and pickup a complete rebuilt alternator and a paper clip. Got to the house; pulled both apart, and swapped everything except the front bearing and rotor. Cleaned the slip rings before swapping bearings. Used the paperclip to hold the new brush set compressed during reassembly...
... the reinstalled alternator was up and running in 30-minutes (total down-time wasabout 2-hrs) for just over $65 ... All that had failed was the brushes, so this could'a been a $5 or $10 repair.
[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left][/align]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.