Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This was my first set of BS tires I usually run Dunlop E-3's and average about 19,000 miles before they need replaced, and there is tread left on them, but less than I like.

The Brigestones have right at 11,000 miles on them and are SHOT. I weigh 380 lbs so I run 42 psi in the rear and39 to 40 in the front. The rear has the rubber worn down to the wear bars and the front is cupped on both sides of center down to the wear bars with the center having good tread left.

Most of my riding with this set of tires has been on twisty curvy mountain roads ridden aggressively. I have ridden this waywith the E-3's with a lot better results than these BS.

I guess the question is have any of you gotten shorter life from Bridgestones than the E-3's?

As stated the bike is a 1994 1500

Thank You

Mike

·
751 Posts
imported post

Im sorry you are Having problems with the Bridgstones ,Cause Ive had nothing but problems with the Dunlops & You couldn`t pay me to put anotherset of e-3s on my bike my bike has 95,000 on it & I run 40 lbs in the front & Rear with my bridgstones Now If Dunlop came out with the Elite 2 again I would be the first to put another set on ! If your tires wore out so fast are you sure You didnt get a radial by Mistake ? Just a thought !

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It isn't all about how many miles you get from a tyre Mike. Over here we get a lot of rain and I find the Bridgestones grip better than the E3, and are quieter too. Better grip in all weather is more important to me tham mileage. The trade-off is the Bridgestones don't last as long.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I just pulled a E3 off this weekend. Tire was split wide open inside. I noticed what I thought was a piece of staple or wire I had picked up. It was accually the steel belting wires coming out from the inside. Never seen a tire do this. My wife 1500 has Bridgestones on it second set. First set ran well over 15,000 miles. Handles better on wet road than any other I have riden on.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I love my Bridgestone tires but only have a few thousand miles on them. I would consider the Avons before going back to the E3.
Also make sure that the front and rear suspension parts are not worn. And at the risk of opening a can of worms, have you tried the Dynabeads? Good Luck

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I just had to replace a Bridgestone due to splits in the rain grooves. The splits were pretty deep and not to confidence inspiring. Put an E-3 on so we will see how that goes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
hummer5205 wrote:
....If Dunlop came out with the Elite 2 again I would be the first to put another set on ! .....
The K175s look like E2s.....
Bill
Do you mean K177?
Those are still available and in my opinion handled very well on the GL15.

Mike, you don't say what model Bridgestones you are running. 'Stones usually give me very good service.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
77Pinto wrote:
hummer5205 wrote:
....If Dunlop came out with the Elite 2 again I would be the first to put another set on ! .....
Bill
Do you mean K177?

Mike, you don't say what model Bridgestones you are running. 'Stones usually give me very good service.

Yes, 177s sorry. Do you mean GL1500? LOL

Bill

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
77Pinto wrote:
hummer5205 wrote:
Bill
Do you mean K177?

The last time I replaced my rear tire, I went from the E3 back to the E2, I can't tell you how much I hated that E3. It did not grip in rain, and sounded like a 1960's era Jeep Pickup Truck with the old Bias Ply Military tires.
I was fortunate enough to have put the spacer in the wrong place so after 1000 miles I had to replace it. I found the E2 on Ebay, and it is marked E2 and listed as the K177.

I am all for saving money but wasting it on a tire that you don't like and don't feel safe on is a total loss.

Too bad we can't just look at a tire and tell if it's going to be good or not.

Thankfully, we have forums such as this, were we can get good feedback from everyone else's experiences.

Keep writing guys, I learn lots here.
:action:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I have 8k on the E3's now and do not notice any noise from the tires. Besides the exhaust, only noise heard is wind, and gear whine from the trans.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I have 10k miles on the E3s and will have to replace them next time I'm in Florida. The reason is the back tire has a hole - still runs with the RideOn in, but.......

BTW quite happy with the E3s, but wondering if there is anything better out there.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Hummer--I am with you on the E-3s. I had them installed a year ago and have not been happy with them. I have a slight bounce in the front at low speed and the whine also. I believe from what I have read that the Bridgestones is the next set for me.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

My Front E-3 makes my bike sound like it has snow tires on it, but it rides great.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I have 9,000+ miles on the Bridgestone Exedras and love them. They still look great, handle well in the rain and are QUIET.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

I found the same thing as you when I changed from E-3's. I was so tired of listening to the HUMMING/ROARING from those E-3's that I put on a set of Stones. Same noise after 5000 miles and they were worn out @ 10,000 unlike my Dunflops that usually made 20,000 or so. I am 70 but still like to ride somewhat aggressively and really found no difference between the handling of either tires. Back to the E-3's for me! ;)

·
751 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
Im sorry you are Having problems with the Bridgstones ,Cause Ive had nothing but problems with the Dunlops & You couldn`t pay me to put anotherset of e-3s on my bike my bike has 95,000 on it & I run 40 lbs in the front & Rear with my bridgstones Now If Dunlop came out with the Elite 2 again I would be the first to put another set on ! If your tires wore out so fast are you sure You didnt get a radial by Mistake ?
The first set of Dunlop elite 3s were terrible I wasn`t listening to the noise as watching the cupping The front tire cupped at 2,500 miles & I contacted Dunlop they bought Me a new front tire & The second Elite 3 tire Cupped at 5,000 miles as well as the rear Dunlopelite 3 cupped at 5,000 miles I was able to go to Steels cycle salvage & get a good wheel with alittle over 50% tread on it as for the wheel I took off I want to get chromed so it will be easier to clean !So I was real happy with my elite 2 when I got down to where there was almost no center grove I got my 2nd Bridgestone have to say Im happy with the bridgestones so far !

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

My experince has been that the Dunlops outlast all the other tires.

Since most of your time is nearly upright, that's where all the wear happens. So Dunlop made a longer lasting tire.

Dunlop uses a harder rubber compound in the center of the tread. The edges of the tires are still a softer rubber compound so the tires still handle well in the twisties. This normally works out ok for most people. They like the compromise because of the extra life.

I on the otherhand have had really bad problems with this. Actually it was only on one tire, but I haven't given Dunlop a second chance.

In my case, I had problems with the rear wheel locking up in agressive braking situations. On one tire I locked up my rear brake 6 times in 11 months. I've never locked up a rear brake on any other tire. Never before, and never since.I know it's becausethe harder rubber in the center doesn't have as much traction, and that's where the braking happens.

However, no one else I have talked to has had the same problem. So for what it's worth, that's myopinion onthe tire and why hyou are experiencing so much longer wear from the E-3's than the Bridgestones.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Actually, Brigstone was the tire that started the "Dual Tread Compound" technology and I think Avon is doing it now, too. I've never heard of Dunlop doing it, but I don't read every press release or add, so...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.