Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain why does'nt auto antifreeze tear up the automobile waterpump like they say it does if you put the auto antifreeze in your GOLDWING, yes i know it is because of the SILICATES in the auto stuff, if so why doe'nt it wreck both waterpumps??????:?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

So, you can't just use any aluminum OK antifreeze in a Goldwing ?

Are Wings really that special ?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Auto antifreeze works just fine Never had a problem iiin 25 years. hey used to have silicates in but I believe no more.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Your are not suppose to use tap water in it. They say only distilled water! Some tap water(Not everyone lives in the city) can contain minerals and metals that can harm the aluminum in any engine.
It not all about the antifreeze. I think that most of the newer antifreeze is safe since most engines now is aluminum.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Yes, use distilled water as minerals can create deposits in the cooling system, and minerals occur naturally in our water supply be it well or city water, just in varying amounts.
I was under the assumption that the silicates caused a sealing issue of some kind, but could be wrong. Since Prestone is silicate free, as are most others, they work just fine.
Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.