Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need a driver's backrest. Cyclemax offers several, but I'd like input from you wingin' veterans about type and height, etc. All I know is I am in need of one.:?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I have the backrest like the one in the photo made by Show Chrome. You can get just the backrest or the backrest and passenger armrest combo. It's real easy to install and adjustable. Remove 4 seat bolts and your in business.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That really looks good! Somehow, your seat has a much deeper backrest than mine built into it...?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

The one in the picture is adjustable and comfortable. Not at all sure of the brand, since the PO had it installed.

Wouldn't be w/o one now.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Retired Guy wrote:
The one in the picture is adjustable and comfortable. Not at all sure of the brand, since the PO had it installed.
Looks to be the Drag Specialties "Wingleader Tall" backrest...

The tube style (Show Chrome & Markland) are nice as is this Drag Specialties. I'm a fan of the Utopia.

The "truth" for me came with a new Saddle that was built and fitted to my frame which included a matched backrest. Personally, I think that I would have rather NOT purchased the Utopia, and instead used that cash toward a fine seat with backrest...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Bingo, that's it. Thanks for the info.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

BIG advantage to that Wingleader backrest when you've got a passenger that has troubles getting their legs up... Moves well outta the way for passenger's to flail-about as they scramble on. Second here only to the Utopia, or other "dagger-style" backrests which can be fully removed then re-installed after the passenger's stowed up on the throne ;)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

:ROFL::ROFL:
The flailing about comment almost caused a keyboard accident !
So darn true.
Thanks for that picture.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

One thing to think about with the ones in the pictures, is that if your passenger is short they won't like the position of their legs being spread from the support bars. If that is the case, the Utopia is the only way to go. I know this from personal experience, wife is only 5 foot. Enjoy the ride.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Another vote for the Utopia style for the shorter passengers.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

One more thumbs up for the Utopia. The fellow I bought my 1800 from had the one with the bars but it bugged my wife's legs so just got a Utopia. The Utopia doesn't have the bars so doesn't bother her, and as said above - looks factory.

Kerry

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
One thing to think about with the ones in the pictures, is that if your passenger is short they won't like the position of their legs being spread from the support bars. If that is the case, the Utopia is the only way to go. I know this from personal experience, wife is only 5 foot. Enjoy the ride.:waving::waving:
In addition, if the driver/rider is a large person, those rails dig into your hips. Even with the padded rails it can get very uncomfortable. The Drag Specialties version is straighter up and down than the other kind, so it may not be as bad with it. Here's a picture of my bike when I bought it, with the kind that Parman has. My bike now has one that is similar to the Eutopia but is made by Hartco and sold with their seats.

Here it is with the Hartco seat and backrest. The Eutopia backrest will be very similar.

John

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully my solution will work out as good as yours. I found a nearly new Hartco seat on Ebay and pulled the trigger. Time will tell...

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
Thanks guys for the help. Hopefully my solution will work out as good as yours. I found a nearly new Hartco seat on Ebay and pulled the trigger. Time will tell...
Nice! Is the seat built for your height and weight?

John

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

No. The "story" is that PO bought the seat, put it on the bike and it was too tall for him- that's good, because my current seat is too low- not enough leg room. New seat arrived today and looks great, can't wait to put it on the bike and try it out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.:thumbsup:

Jluvstodive, that is a fine looking ride! My new seat looks identical to yours except mine is wine colored.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

awingandaprayer wrote:
Jluvstodive, that is a fine looking ride! My new seat looks identical to yours except mine is wine colored.
Thank you Sir! That wine colored seat should look nice on your white bike too! Snap some pix of it when you get it mounted and post them if you don't mind. :waving:

When I first got this Hartco seat I thought it was too tall for me too. I couldn't put my feet down flat without sliding forward a little. Not sure exactly how it happened but within a couple of weeks it was no longer and issue. I don't move forward at all and can flat foot it no problem. The best part though, it put my knees at a much more comfortable angle while riding and eliminated my knee pain that I would get on longer rides. Money well spent in my book! It's firmness also helps a lot with butt fatigue on long rides.

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.