Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i measured the battery drain with everything off and its about 300ma,, does this sound high?,, i noticed after 4-5 hrs the battery takes 3.5 amps to start the charge.

usually i connect the maintainer but it seemed to work/charge most of the time

thanks
db

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I'm kinda confused. Probably because it's late, but are you saying that you have to charge the battery every day??? (4-5 hours off the charger?) The 300mA might be about right to keep the memory in the electronics, but it might also be a little high. I couldn't say for sure because I haven't bothered to check my own. The battery should read around 12.5 volts when the bike is sitting. At idle it should be about the same or a little more, and when throttled up to about 2.5k - 3k rpm the volts should read between 13.5 and 14.5. How old is the battery? I'm sure other people here with more knowledge than I could help with this better.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

No. 300 ma is about 60 times more than the max of 5 ma allowed by the max spec. for clock and channel memory.

Find the drain. It is likely something someone has added like an alarm for example.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

cobradb wrote:
i measured the battery drain with everything off and its about 300ma,, does this sound high?,, i noticed after 4-5 hrs the battery takes 3.5 amps to start the charge.

usually i connect the maintainer but it seemed to work/charge most of the time

thanks
db
Yup agreed wit Rudy-too high. 300 milliamps is .3 amps. A 21 AMP/HOUR battery will discharge completely in about 70 hours at that rate. Less time is required to discharge it to a point where it can't crank engine. I'd start pulling fuses until you lessen or lose draw then investigate offending circuit.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Guys
I'm BAD,,, posted and left town

SHOULD HAVE SAID 3.00 ma
the battery is only one yr old lead acid
over night it shows 12.8 volts but hooked to charger it pulls about 8 amps at start for a few seconds today.
when parked off ride it shows 13.8 volts
not really concerned abt it for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.