Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Funny, I recently photographed the OEMs I still have … and a new Gates T275 for the 1500. These Gates T-275 were manufactured in the UK. I noticed the spacing or pitch was the same, the same lengths too, but the GL1200 OEMs had a flat top on the teeth, like the tops of them had all been just cut off … it was how they were made, they had shallower sprockets too.

View attachment 321103
Hum ,I think someone must have realized that a round corner won’t fail as fast as a square one will.
Years ago the British tried to build an airplane with square windows and the windows failed pretty quick,now all aircraft windows are round and the don’t have a sq corner to start breaking.
i wonder if my belts are round corners.?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I had a cam belt failure. Hung up idler pulley rubbing on belt did the trick. Check to be sure they turn freely. I wondered where that burning rubber smell came from when I shut it off.....
gumbyred

·
Administrator
24,826 Posts
Funny, I recently photographed the OEMs I still have … and a new Gates T275 for the 1500. These Gates T-275 were manufactured in the UK. I noticed the spacing or pitch was the same, the same lengths too, but the GL1200 OEMs had a flat top on the teeth, like the tops of them had all been just cut off … it was how they were made, they had shallower sprockets too.

View attachment 321103
1200 belts are not T275, they are T070. Same length but different tooth profiles.

·
1,631 Posts
the Camshaft runs at 1/2 crankshaft speed.
so, at 3,000 RPM, the belt is making a circle at 1500 RPM.

since you are going on a 'tour', and you have asked the question about the timing belts, just do yourself a favor and change them.
what is $35 worth to your mind while you are 1500 miles from home with new belts?
The Camshaft revolutions is half of the crankshaft revolutions , - thats a fact !
But none of those has anything to do with the "belts revolution"

21 - 25 of 25 Posts