Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys.

Results:
Green ground at kickstand proven correct.
Green and green/white jumper - did not produce starting in gear.
Grounds above dipstick and Radiator proved correct.
Being in reverse gear - the bike surges and hesitates causing mild lurching.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The very latest:

Bike starts in gear now. Pulled a new clutch pin/screw off a friend's 1500 and its fired immediately.

So:
Speedo and tach are lit up but not reporting any information.
and
Reverse gear is odd backing up (at least while on the hoist) - it surges backwards.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't you love progress?

The very latest:

So:

and
Reverse gear is odd backing up (at least while on the hoist) - it surges backwards.
I's suspect that's normal, especially on the hoist. There's circuitry to limit the speed of the starter motor in reverse. Mins surges a little if on level ground.

Have you checked the speedometer cable? That's a cable drive to the front wheel, not electronic. Tach Yel/blu wire gets its signal from Yel/blu wire on Pin 19 of ECM connector, check continuity. Green on tach is just ground.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Okay thats good to know then -perhaps I'm just chasing a tach and speedo problem.

Cant be the ground as (if i remember correctly) the single ground wire feeds the entire cluster back there. So if one works, they all should?!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re-read my previous post, You replied while I was editing and adding more info... :D

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
The very latest:

Bike starts in gear now. Pulled a new clutch pin/screw off a friend's 1500 and its fired immediately.

So:
and

Now you know why I put up post # 16. Wanted you to know what allows the bike to start in gear.....!!

Connecting the Green and Green/White wires together was a test to decide if the side stand switch was bad (or good).

No start in gear = side stand switch was good.

Next step would be to check the clutch micro switch function. But you figured that out before I saw your reply......!!

About the speedo: First check the speedo cable. Second check the gear box function at the front wheel. There is a plastic gear in the gear box that has been known to have stripped teeth. Third would be the speedo head unit.

Note: If the speedo cable is broken, I would recommend replacing the whole cable (not just the inner cable).

About the tach: Could be loose connections at the tach, connector issues between the ECM and the tach, no signal from the ECM or a faulty tach unit.

You have had quite a project with many issues....!!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay thanks! I'll chase down Yel/Blu on ECM 19...
But where is ECM 19 haha?

·
Registered
633 Posts
The ECM is the "biggish" black box just about by your right knee if you are sitting on the bike, it will have a large connector with 26 wires in the plug.

See attachments, there's conflicting info with the color diagram I posted earlier. These from the 1994 service manual shows the tach on pin 11, not 19.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Roger that - pin 11.

You are 100% right DBohrer - no excuse...Lazy brain at work past midnight haha

It doesnt look tampered or ruptured in any way...Will open her up Sat and see if the pin is producing anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Measure continuity with your ohmmeter between pin 11 and the yel/blu wire on the tach, if no continuity then you need to trace down the interruption. Looks like there's the connector at the ECM, another at the instrument cluster and maybe one more in between.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Will attack this Sunday evening when the shop is open again.
As we've narrowed it down to this region AND I had the dash out and upgraded the LED's - I'm thinking we've pulled something in the back out.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
We ride..............

I would recommend narrowing the issue down a little more..........!!!!!

The easiest place to check (for a signal) on that yellow/blue wire is at the C72 Black "13-pin" connector behind/under the right fairing pocket. Much easier than removing the right fairing inner panel (unless you already happen to have it removed).

If a signal at the C72 connector, it is not the ECM and you have eliminated the ECM connector. Then check behind the instrument panel....!!

Easy approach first.....!!:grin3:

Signal flow: ECM connector....C72 Black "13-pin connector.....C66 White "20 pin" connector....Tach unit.....!

PS: Always good to recheck one's work.....!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts