Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 99 SE has a Tail Light Wig Wag or whatever its called and I get no brake lights from either the the hand brake or the foot brake. I have no clue as what to look for. I figure since both are it rules out the micro switch.

Also I replaced the front brake pads a few days ago and now I get a clunk when I grab the front brakes. It doesn't do it when I press the foot brake. It sounds like the pads are suddenly grabbing the rotor or something.

What should I look for thanks?

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Is the wigwag connected to all the brake lights or just some of them? The best thing to do is remove it.
What pads did you use? Some aftermarket pads may not fit well and the clunk is the pads moving in the caliper.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
A common problem is a stuck brake switch so brakes are on all the time.
Are all the lights the same brightness including the side bag lights if you have them?
Check the rear switch first. Then the front switch. A good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner shot in the holes of the switches will do it and work the switches. Sometimes start with wd40 then finish with ecc.
Post what you find.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
When you changed the pads did you clean the pins and lube them with silicone brake lube? Sounds like something is sticking or loose in there. Pull it apart and check each piece. Check the pads for separated pads. Are both pins through the pad holes to secure them?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought one could be stuck on. It only flashes some of the available bulbs. I will try to clean the switches with cleaner and put some dielectric grease on it. I can disconnect it and see if it works as well.

I didn't know I had to put some silicone on the pins. I just cleaned them and put them back. I figured some kinda lube would collect brake dust and gum up. I can do that and see what happens.

I will post back what I find.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot

I forgot to post that I used regular Honda pads. I asked the dealer if there were different pads that gave a little better performance but he stated I better stick with the stock pads. I think the braking system on the bike could be better. I'll try to upgrade to the stainless brake lines on the front. I just have problems with the linked braking system.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
There is a specific clearance that you MUST follow on the front axle,too. If this is off, the thing will also clunk. jimsjinx

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Never thought one could be stuck on. It only flashes some of the available bulbs. I will try to clean the switches with cleaner and put some dielectric grease on it. I can disconnect it and see if it works as well.

I didn't know I had to put some silicone on the pins. I just cleaned them and put them back. I figured some kinda lube would collect brake dust and gum up. I can do that and see what happens.

I will post back what I find.
Your first post says no brake lights, now you say some of the available bulbs????? Would you clearify this please.

Go to auto parts store and get caliper grease that has a silicone base or copper base for all the pins and bushings after any rust is sanded off. Look at parts breakdown/repair manual breakdown to see them all.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Me also no brake lights

My 1500 also has no brake lights. When I wired it up to pull a trailer, becuz the trailer plug only had a 4 - wire plug (one of them was for ground) & the bike had 5 wires coming out of it, I spliced the brake & taillights together so I would have at least taillights on the trailer. Could THAT b a reason why I now have no brakelights on the bike even when the trailer is disconnected?

To be honest (& come to think of it) I don't think I had brake lights on the bike before I wired it for the trailer, but not 100% sure. How can I troubleshoot somehow?

Also, the right taillight (at the very bottom...not on the trunk) doesn't work.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Brake Lights

Blue...

Hi All,

My 99 SE has a Tail Light Wig Wag or whatever its called and I get no brake lights from either the the hand brake or the foot brake. I have no clue as what to look for. I figure since both are it rules out the micro switch.

Did you check the 15-amp "stop" fuse.......? If good, check the "green/red" wire at the 22-pin Blue connector under the seat for voltage (with either brake applied). If voltage, the 1) stop relay, 2) front brake switch, 3) rear brake switch is working good.

Next, disconnect/check the Wig Wag..............!

Also I replaced the front brake pads a few days ago and now I get a clunk when I grab the front brakes. It doesn't do it when I press the foot brake. It sounds like the pads are suddenly grabbing the rotor or something.

What should I look for thanks?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Happer....

My 1500 also has no brake lights. When I wired it up to pull a trailer, becuz the trailer plug only had a 4 - wire plug (one of them was for ground) & the bike had 5 wires coming out of it, I spliced the brake & taillights together so I would have at least taillights on the trailer. Could THAT b a reason why I now have no brakelights on the bike even when the trailer is disconnected?

To be honest (& come to think of it) I don't think I had brake lights on the bike before I wired it for the trailer, but not 100% sure. How can I troubleshoot somehow?

Check post # 10.........

Check bulb and socket wiring....

Thank you

·
Registered
425 Posts

Thank you
You can not wire the brake light and tail lights together on the bike to make them into a 4 wire system. You need a 5 wire to 4 wire converter. You can find them on line at some of the Gold Wing sites or at an auto parts store.

Here is one type so you know what to look for. I used this on my 1800.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

Un hook your splice and put it back to the way it was and your brake lights should work. If they do not work, then check the things listed on the other posts. For your right tail light, sounds like a bulb is burned out.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
You can find a 5 wire to 4 wire connection harness on ebay under Goldwing 1500 I used it and it goes together rather easy by just following their wire diagram, might just fix the problem, I also have the wigwag brakelights and everything seems to work ok, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Where's the 15-amp "stop" fuse? How do I get at it?

I have zero brake lights & the very bottom taillight on the right is very very dim.

Sure wud like to get those brake lights working.

Thanx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.