Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today, while starting my ride a grinding noise was heard when using the hand brake. Turned around and got it home using the foot brake.

Took the rotor cover off and my front pads were shot. This after only 7k miles on the EBC pads. Went and got OEM pads locally and are in for the group ride tomorrow.

No sign of excessive heat from rotor or old pads which were worn equally with no cracking. Caliper slides easy on lubed pins with good seals. Pistons pushed back into caliper easily. Am almost positive the brake has not been dragging.

I use the front brake only, occasionally using foot brake to prevent seizing of rear brake parts on the linked system. I will be checking for dragging brakes during my rides.

Have only had the new pads in for a few miles now and cannot really put it through its paces yet. The new pads do seem to have somewhat more stopping ability than the old ones ever had.

What have you guys been getting for pad life and with what brand?

JD

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I think I got about 35-40k out of my last set of EBC pads, the 'step up from stock' ones.
I have since gone back to EBC stock replacements as they worked just as well for me, and lasted about the same length of time.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I also tend to replace brake pads like my tires-- before they need it. I would rather do them a bit more often and never accidentally get in to that metal-on-metal situation.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
I use the front brake only, occasionally using foot brake to prevent seizing of rear brake parts on the linked system.

JD
Don't expect that much more out of OEM pads as stopping over a ½ ton of mass with only two out of six pads they will wear fast.

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DriverRider wrote:
I use the front brake only, occasionally using foot brake to prevent seizing of rear brake parts on the linked system.

JD
Don't expect that much more out of OEM pads as stopping over a ½ ton of mass with only two out of six pads they will wear fast.
Yeah really, my 1500 won't even think about stopping fast with just the front brake. That was a huge learning curve for me when I first got the GW, my previous two bikes with duel front brakes would stop on a dime without the rears so I got in the habit of not using them.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
I also tend to replace brake pads like my tires-- before they need it. I would rather do them a bit more often and never accidentally get in to that metal-on-metal situation.
I was fortunate the one pad started rubbing first on the outside lip of the rotor causing no damage.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

kennyd wrote:
Yeah really, my 1500 won't even think about stopping fast with just the front brake. That was a huge learning curve for me when I first got the GW, my previous two bikes with duel front brakes would stop on a dime without the rears so I got in the habit of not using them.
With the Wings linked system, only one front caliper is activated by the front brake lever. The other front caliper is activated with the back brake lever (along with the rear caliper). By using the front brake lever alone, only 1/3 of your stopping power is utilized.

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
kennyd wrote:
With the Wings linked system, only one front caliper is activated by the front brake lever. The other front caliper is activated with the back brake lever (along with the rear caliper). By using the front brake lever alone, only 1/3 of your stopping power is utilized.
Yes, I understand that quite well, I don't think the OP does though:?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
kennyd wrote:
With the Wings linked system, only one front caliper is activated by the front brake lever. The other front caliper is activated with the back brake lever (along with the rear caliper). By using the front brake lever alone, only 1/3 of your stopping power is utilize
Is that still the same with the newer 1800's? I use both any ways, but I thought it was that the back brake applies some of both or one of the front brakes. When I replaced the brakes on my 04 gl1800 the front calipers had 3 pistons in them. Two were linked to each other (opposite sides of the caliper) and the other was by itself (centered on the caliper). Does anyone know which one goes to which? Just trying to learn something new about my bike. :) BTW I believe that it's a good idea to get used to using all of your stopping power all of the time, that way it's second nature when you need it. :)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
Snorebaby wrote:
kennyd wrote:
With the Wings linked system, only one front caliper is activated by the front brake lever. The other front caliper is activated with the back brake lever (along with the rear caliper). By using the front brake lever alone, only 1/3 of your stopping power is utilize
Is that still the same with the newer 1800's? I use both any ways, but I thought it was that the back brake applies some of both or one of the front brakes. When I replaced the brakes on my 04 gl1800 the front calipers had 3 pistons in them. Two were linked to each other (opposite sides of the caliper) and the other was by itself (centered on the caliper). Does anyone know which one goes to which? Just trying to learn something new about my bike. :) BTW I believe that it's a good idea to get used to using all of your stopping power all of the time, that way it's second nature when you need it. :)
Here's the schematic.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Do you think there's any reason that they put brakes on the rear wheel? Whyput all the braking load on the front wheel? Front tires wear out fast enough without adding more braking load than necessary. With or without linked brakes it's a lot easier on the machine and more controllable if one leads with the rear brake. Think about how a brake functions. It's purpose is to change kinetic energy into heat. Whether you use one or three of the brakes on the bike the same amount of energy has to be converted to heat. By using only one or two of the brakes the amount of heat and wear on those brakes is much more than would be the case if all the available braking surfaces are used.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

+1 to exavid as well. it's much easier on the brakes and tires if you use all of them, plus your stopping distance is greatly reduced when you use all of your braking power.

Ken, that's exactly what I was thinking. Is that one for the 1500 or the 1800 or both? I know that my 1800 is like that, although I didn't realize the differences in each caliper. Am I correct in saying that the blue lines are for the anti dive system?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

kennyd wrote:
Snorebaby wrote:
kennyd wrote:
Yes, I understand that quite well, I don't think the OP does though:?
I understand the brake system completely and never stated coming to a stop is a problem.

I am not hard on the throttle or the brakes. I have practiced using both brakes in a rapid high speed deceleration. For everyday riding in good weather I use the front brake only.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

:) I'm still learning. :) don't mind me.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The comparison made earlier by me dealt only with the EBC pads vs. OEM when using the hand brake.

I go easy on new pads until broken in (100 miles).

What I will say is the OEM so far provide much better stopping ability with the same amount of force applied to the hand brake.

Take it for what it is.:?

JD

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

7,000 miles is about right for EBC pads in my experience, OEM Honda pads last three times longer but cost more too.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've not had great luck with EBC on any Wing I owned. 10,000 miles tops, which for the price I suppose isn't bad. Honda pads last three times longer and unfortunately cost about three times as much. Stopping performance is about the same on both.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Wow! only 7k on ebc pads? I replaced mine in 09....guess I better check my list on the mileage when they were changed!! I did replace the rear rotor at that time too. It was difficult to find a good price on a replacement rotor. What I will say is that I am not one of those riders that is heavy on acceleration or braking...heck I have over 25k on a front Dunlop E3 with the molding **** still on the surface of the tires that only hit when you lean the bike way over in a turn :cheesygrin:.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I f I can hijack you guys for a second, I have a noise like that on the front left when braking. Took the pads out, and they are wearing/worn diagonally.? The caliper is floating properly on new pins, but I don't understand why they would be worn that way. New pads and a pair of decent rotors are coming, but I wish I knew WHY this happened. I did notice a couple little pits or goudges in the pads, like a little rock or sumpin got jammed in there. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Brake life like anything else, depends on your riding habits, twisties vs highway, and your own riding style. AND, what exavid said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.